Uwatec Aladin Air Z nitrox V.s. Suunto D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Uwatec Aladin Air Z nitrox V.s. Suunto D4i

Im just a recreational diver.. diving 100feet max. but mostly 60feet ....

I never go over NDL.

see here's the thing.. the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox is a fine comptuer... very big display.. but.. it's borrowed. I know it's an expensive piece of computer. should I keep on borrowing it? owner is an uncle and he doesn't seem to mind since he doesn't dive a lot.

On the other hand..I think I have enough funds to get a Suunto D4i.

is the Suunto D4i more conservative than the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox? the Uwatec doesn't even have the 3 mins safety stop.

Opinions guys?

I am assuming the algorithms on the D4 and my D9 are the same or very similar. I used to dive an Air-Z nitrox, and I am assuming its algorithm is very similar to the Smartcom I use as a backup now.

The three-minute safety stop countdown is a convenience, the stop is optional. If you skip it, it won't impact your next dive's NDL (based on the quoted material from the manual, emphasis mine):

Suunto D9 manual:
DO NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM ASCENT RATE! Rapid ascents increase the risk of injury. You should always make the Mandatory and Recommended Safety Stops after you have exceeded the maximum recommended ascent rate. If this Mandatory Safety Stop is not completed, the decompression model will penalize your next dive(s). Continuous ascent rate violations will result in Mandatory Safety Stops. When Recommended Deep Stop is enabled, the length is indicated in seconds.

Suuntos are notoriously conservative; the D4 is certainly more conservative than the Air-X nitrox. In my diving, however, which consists of repetitive dives usually shallower than 30 meters, I see very little divergence between the two.

d4 and d9 i think have the same RGBM and deep stop RGBM

wanted a D6 but.. aside from the compass.... I don't see the advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom