baffled by Suunto D4i info while diving vs dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks.

I haven't been low on air since I hit double digit dives. My friends tease me that I'm a mermaid. Running out of NDL is more my problem.

Yes, once I downloaded and analyzed the dives in the Suunto DM5, I could see the error. All in hindsight of course. Must have missed it on the display during the dive, and my Uwatec was just happily computing without any concern. That's the one I check throughout. Now I know I should check the Suunto as well. Lesson learned, thankfully without any grave circumstances.
In this case, you need to start using your Nitox setting & matching the Oxygen concentration in the tank with what is set in your Computers.

I would just always set them on Nitrox. If you happen to dive on air, then set the Nitrox to 21%.

Then you’d be running your computers less into DECO and more bottom time.

I finally checked out the Teric. The page loads with a "as low as $1,150" 😂 Plus another $400 for the air integrated transmitter. Ouch. Maybe someday.

But it certainly does look like a sweet computer!
Everything I need to know is shown on the display at one glance, including where north is (red arrow) and where the boat (green dot), pressure, temperature, etc . No button pushing.

EC0FFA0E-9239-484A-B86E-D3467DCB83F6.jpeg

• Bullseye!
Reactions: eab
Everything I need to know is shown on the display at one glance, including where north is (red arrow) and where the boat (green dot), pressure, temperature, etc . No button pushing.

View attachment 721474
How on earth does it know where the boat is? Do you leave a transmitter on the boat? Geeze... You're *killing* me!

In this case, you need to start using your Nitox setting & matching the Oxygen concentration in the tank with what is set in your Computers.

I would just always set them on Nitrox. If you happen to dive on air, then set the Nitrox to 21%.

Then you’d be running your computers less into DECO and more bottom time.
Makes perfect sense. I've always dove Nitrox at 21% on my computer for the safety margin, but if the computer is already conservative, I'm doubling down when I don't have to. It's been a really enlightening thread. I'm so glad I asked and that you have all contributed so much and so much detail. Totally grateful!

Reactions: Dan
How on earth does it know where the boat is? Do you leave a transmitter on the boat? Geeze... You're *killing* me!
It has built-in compass that you can set the north to spin around the display rim. After you enter the water, swim away from the boat, turn around to where the boat is located, point the 12 O’clock mark to where the boat is, press the compass set button to popup the green button at that 12 O’clock mark and turn back to where you are heading and continue diving.

I finally checked out the Teric. The page loads with a "as low as $1,150" 😂 Plus another $400 for the air integrated transmitter. Ouch. Maybe someday.

But it certainly does look like a sweet computer!
If you don’t need helium or AI, you can get a Peregrine.

If you can find a Perdix 1 on sale, they are very similar to the Perdix 2. The non AI version is a bit cheaper too.

Hello and thanks for helping! I find the Suunto D4i user guide a bit lacking for my brain. Not enough visuals or something. More brains are better in this instance for certain.

Any thoughts on the following? Any better software than Subsurface to help me decipher what's going on? I'm on a Mac.

3 dives, first 2 on air, 3rd on Nitrox 30 but logged as air
dive 1: 110 feet, 45 minutes
SI 1:33
dive 2: 79 feet, 53 minutes
SI. 1:27
dive 3: 70 feet, 63 minutes

No alarms or flashing that I recall, no deco for any of the dives outside of the normal 3 minute safety stop. However, on the 3rd dive as I approached 15 feet, it appeared I had a 10 foot ceiling with the up and down arrows displayed and 16 minute ascent time. I can't find the image in any of the logs, so I'm working from memory and what I "logged" in my head at the time.

At no point did I see the Er in the display.

I have a second computer, an Uwatec, which had nothing unusual on the display. I'm searching for my IR stick to see if I can download from that computer to get more info, but it's not looking good.

Yes, I ascended and got on the boat at the 10 minute mark because it just didn't make sense. Later when I checked the dive history log I saw the Er, but there's not much more information.

I'm home now and looking at the dive log in Subsurface. There are yellow warning triangles, but the NDL is listed as 120 min. Some of the triangles have below floor begin or end and ceiling begin and end, but they're on the same triangle so it doesn't make sense.

Please point me anywhere that will help. I would appreciate it!

Eileen
I had a D4i and I am wondering if you had activated the deepstop option.

It will insert mandatory stops on the way up if you went under 20m I think.

Look for deepstop in the manual below.

Btw if you use the d4i on a drysuit with the extender, I recommend you add a bungee … lost mine at the surface somehow.

The D4i will add a stop if you ascended too fast:

When the ascent rate exceeds 10 m (33 ft) per minute for more than five consecutive seconds, the microbubble build-up may be more than is allowed for in the decompression model.
In this situation, Suunto D4i adds a mandatory safety stop to the dive. The time of this stop depends on the speed violation of the ascent rate.
The STOP icon is shown in the display. When you reach the depth zone between 6 m and 3 m (18 ft and 9 ft) the following is displayed:
1. CEILING and STOP
2. Ceiling depth
3. Safety stop time

It will also add a deepstop if the option is enabled:

Deepstops activate when you dive deeper than 20 m (65.6 ft).
If the dive timer is on the screen when deepstop activates, the timer is replaced with deepstop.
After deepstop is over, the user can change between deepstop and the timer by long pressing the MODE button.
Deepstops are presented the same way as safety stops. Suunto D4i notifies you that you are in the deepstop area by displaying:
• CEILING in the top
• DEEPSTOP in the center row
• Stop depth
• Countdown timer
Deepstop is on by default in Air and Nitrox modes. To turn deepstop off:
1. While in a dive mode, keep [DOWN] pressed.
2. Press [DOWN] to scroll to Deepstop and enter with [Select] .

Suunto D4i
3. Press [UP] to toggle on/off.
4. Press [MODE] to exit.

I had a D4i and I am wondering if you had activated the deepstop option.

It will insert mandatory stops on the way up if you went under 20m I think.

Look for deepstop in the manual below.

Btw if you use the d4i on a drysuit with the extender, I recommend you add a bungee … lost mine at the surface somehow.

The D4i will add a stop if you ascended too fast:

It will also add a deepstop if the option is enabled:
Thanks!

I may have had the deepstop option on, yes. Good catch!

I don't use a drysuit (yet) as all my diving is in warm(-ish) water here in Florida or in Cozumel. I wrap an elastic ponytail holder through the clasp and place the other end on my thumb ... just in case. I've never had it dislodge, but am prepared just in case.

I do know my SmartCom "screams" when I lift if up too quickly during a safety stop. I'm checking my #s and it thinks I'm ascending too quickly. Reminds me of advice Mrs. Weasley gives Ginny in one of the Harry Potter movies about not letting technology do your thinking for you.

@eab glad I could help I remember that I was puzzled when my computer was adding these deep stops and it took me some time before to figure out the meaning of the option at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom