Utila Dive Shop Recommendations/Carnival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

We are traveling to Utila at the end of July and are looking forward to our first trip here. I know there are a number of dive operations and that a number of them focus on diver training. We will not be doing any training and will simply be doing fun dives. That said, we are partial to dive shops that limit or otherwise have fewer divers on their boat. While I certainly understand that this is a business and more divers means more money, we'd be willing to pay a bit more for a smaller crowd. Anyone with suggestions or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Also, we understand that this time period is for Carnival. We'd really like to hear about the things to definately "not miss" during this festival.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

itsjustme0770:
We are traveling to Utila at the end of July I know there are a number of dive operations and that a number of them focus on diver training.

Not really. They focus on building Dive Masters and Instructors. However, pretty much so all of them have to deal with "backpackers" who are on resort course or their first few lifetime dives.

We will not be doing any training and will simply be doing fun dives. That said, we are partial to dive shops that limit or otherwise have fewer divers on their boat.

By deffinition, that describes Utila. Small is as small does. You will not find huge crowds. That said, there are operators with acceptable standards and those with no clue.

While I certainly understand that this is a business and more divers means more money, we'd be willing to pay a bit more for a smaller crowd. Anyone with suggestions or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Hire a private boat (from a reputable dive op). See some of the better stuff that Utila offers that the local DM's don't bother to take the less experienced and less competent divers. There is a standard tour, then there's the other stuff. It will cost extra, but then again you're getting more. You decide if your skills are appropriate.

Also, we understand that this time period is for Carnival. We'd really like to hear about the things to definately "not miss" during this festival.

Utila is well known for the Carnival and the associated parties, parades and costumed finery.

Not

When Carnival's effects are felt in Utila, trust me, it's small enough that everyone will be aware that it is time to come out into the street and have a party.

It's a great destination for diving in the Caribbean... as it was 30 years ago. There's not much to miss, much less to catch. Go now, but don't expect Cozumel's crowds or Trinidad's carnival.

Thanks Roatanman.

A private boat for a couple of days sounds like a great plan. I'd love to have some reccommendations. If you don't care to post those on a public board, feel free to PM me. Thanks very much in advance.

Utila's Carnival 2005 will be held from 23-31 July
It begins on the 23rd with the Crowning of the Carnival Queen at 7:00pm in the centre of town (in the public volleyball court next to Las Delcious Bar). Throughout the week there are Carnavalito's at various locations throughout the town (Utila is very small so just follow the sound of the music to find these).

On Saturday 30th July is the Grand Parade down the main street starting at 3:00pm (but it's always late). Sunday 31st July is the Grand Closing with a big party down at Chepes Beach.

Details of the Carnival and other goings-on in Utila can be found in the June 2005 edition of Utila's local (and only) newspaper "Utila East Wind" which can be downloaded from www.aboututila.com/Utila-East-Wind/index.htm.

Information about every Dive Shop in Utila can also be found at the same web site www.AboutUtila.com. I live here in Utila and maintain this web site, so it is fairly accurate and up-to-date.

The probablity of you being able to hire a private dive boat is slim. While it is possible to hire a boat for tours (fishing, whale shark spotting, etc) from one of the many local fisherman, these boats are not set up for diving, nor do their operators have scuba tanks, compressors, etc.

That said, all of the Dive Shops here in Utila have reasonably good boats, some better (larger, faster) than others. You may want to discuss your requirements with the Dive Shop Manager to ensure you get to the type of dive sites you want and not be constrained by the requirements of a shallow dive site used for open water divers.

But even this is not necessarily a problem. What I do if the dive boat has open water students (and I don't want in the same area as them), is to ask the boat captain to drop me off on the reef wall before reaching the student's dive site. I then do a drift dive along the reef wall and meet up with the boat at the designated mooring bouy. If you are new to the area, I recommend you take a local Divemaster with you, since they will be more familar with the currents, underwater landmarks, etc, to ensure you safely reach the designated boat mooring.

There is also the option of shore diving, but I prefer boat diving. The are over 50 dive sites in Utila, and given the usually weak strength of the reef wall currents, you can either go left or right from any dive mooring bouy. Again, if you are on a boat with an open water class, just head off in the opposite direction. Unlike some other diving destinations, there is a strictly observed, one dive boat per mooring bouy, so dive sites are never crowded.

Finally all the Dive Shops are located along the main street of Utila. It would take less than 30 minutes to walk past all the Dive Shops, so you can always shop around, diving with different dive shops on different days. The choice is yours.

Regards
Mark
WebMaster: www.AboutUtila.com
Email: WebMaster@AboutUtila.com

Mark,

Thank you for the incredibly thoughtful response. Its very helpful. Really looking forward to our trip. We'll be looking at a couple of pieces of property while we are there and look forward to getting to know your beautiful island.

A group from SB are arriving there on the 30th and staying at www.deepblueutila.com. Look us up. About 20 I believe. The thread for the trip is in the singles forum.

Back
Top Bottom