Utila Banking adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ATM in Utila is finally operational as of 19-July-2005.

The ATM (the first and only one in Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras) is located at BGA Bank opposite the Utila Municipal Dock and is part of the Banet, Unibanc and BANRed24 network. It accepts VISA, MasterCard, Plus, Cirrus and Systema Clave cards.

The Assistant Manager tells me the maximum withdrawal is 9,000 Lempira per day.
And here's a picture to show that it does exist. The sign posted on the door says "ATM Operational"
Utila-ATM-01.jpg

Utila's First ATM Machine​
Mark

AboutUtila:
The Assistant Manager tells me the maximum withdrawal is 9,000 Lempira per day.
And here's a picture to show that it does exist. The sign posted on the door says "ATM Operational" Mark

Let's see, 9000 Limps = $450 US or so. Is that per-person or total for the day for everyone?

I've seen any number of signs in Honduras. Did you try it? :smileysto

Well, Mark (and Utila)... welcome to "the future". :crafty:

rockbeauty:
Just an update on the ATM machine in Utila: it's working and had money (5000 lempiras at the time) on the 7th of july!!!

machine - the one that only lets you take 2000 L at a time.

Have to plan a trip to Utila now. Haven't been because I don't like carry large amounts of cash and since I live in Honduras, I don't use traveler's checks.

Dark_Wolf:
machine - the one that only lets you take 2000 L at a time.

Have to plan a trip to Utila now. Haven't been because I don't like carry large amounts of cash and since I live in Honduras, I don't use traveler's checks.

That was ME....kid forgot to log out before I used the site.

So I guess I am a little confused. Can someone confirm how much cash is availble per day? Thanks.

itsjustme0770:
So I guess I am a little confused. Can someone confirm how much cash is availble per day? Thanks.

I have withdrawn 5,000 Lempira, but as I said previously, the Assistant Manager told me that you can withdraw a maximum of 9,000 Lempira per card per day.

Regards - Mark

AboutUtila:
I have withdrawn 5,000 Lempira, but as I said previously, the Assistant Manager told me that you can withdraw a maximum of 9,000 Lempira per card per day.

Regards - Mark

Is that L5000 with one withdrawal or multiple withdrawals? That's the key question for me because of the outrageous bankwithdrawal fees my US bank charges on international ATM transactions ($5 a pop). If it is multiple withdrawals, I'll use the UNIBANC machines on the mainland and take L5000 at one time for several days before going over there.

The BANET machine I use where I live only allows L3000 at a single time but you can withdraw a second time to reach the limit your US bank sets on your account. That's how Atlantida works also - L2000 maximum for one withdrawal but you can withdraw multiple times until you reach the limit your bank sets on your account. UNIBANC on the other hand allows L5000 per withdrawal so only one fee is paid to the US bank instead of two when I use BANET or Atlantida.

DiversMom:
Is that L5000 with one withdrawal or multiple withdrawal?

That was Lps 5,000.00 single withdrawal on a Cirrus Debit Card.

I have made over the counter VISA cash withdrawals at BGA, with a maximum single withdrawal of 15,000 Lps. After doing this and being charged a BGA commission of 160 Lps, I discovered they charge a commission of 80.00 Lps on each "block" of 10,000 Lps, so I it would have been more cost effective (from a BGA commission perspective) to have made two withdrawal's of 10,000 Lps each.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom