Utila Banking adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roatanjan

Reaction score
Thought you’d enjoy my adventures into banking while on Utila-Jan 2005

You learn pretty quickly that a trip to the bank is not for one in a hurry. You also learn to take a book. Most of the time you can count on being in line for at least 2 hours, sometimes longer.
When you first enter the bank, the line up is back to the door. There is a zig zag pattern in the floor tiles that you line up on and follow. After waiting for quite a while with the line moving very slowly, you start to think you are finally making some progress and getting closer to the counter, just as things look good for it being your turn, a senior citizen comes in, and goes directly to the front of the line, well ok, that’s not too bad, although they take 45 min. to do their banking. Once done, your hopes are up again, nope, a pregnant gal comes in, and yes moves to the front of the line. Hmmm.
She’s now done, hopes rise.
The door opens and in comes a young guy on crutches …... To the head of the line he does go…. As we’re now passing the 2 hr mark, this can be a little frustrating to say the least. All I can say is that if and when I am finally done and I go outside and see that guy walking up the street to give his buddy his crutches for his turn, and I get a hold of him, he will be needing those crutches for sure by the time I’m done with him!
Such are the adventures of banking on Utila, I will never complain about line ups here at home again.

roatanjan:
Thought you’d enjoy my adventures into banking while on Utila-Jan 2005.

Kind readers, consider this....

We here in the States walk around with $1 bills and give away pennies and nickels in the counter-top cups at the Stop n' Rob.

In Honduras, the walk about with ratty bank notes of the single denomination of One Lempira which is worth about 8 cents U.S. Are you with me so far?

Then, they can make change for that One Lempira note down to one Honduran Penny, and that would be 1/100 of 8 cents.

Oky doky.

RoatanMan:
Kind readers, consider this....

We here in the States walk around with $1 bills and give away pennies and nickels in the counter-top cups at the Stop n' Rob.

In Honduras, the walk about with ratty bank notes of the single denomination of One Lempira which is worth about 8 cents U.S. Are you with me so far?

Then, they can make change for that One Lempira note down to one Honduran Penny, and that would be 1/100 of 8 cents.

Oky doky.

I can top that. I have in my possession a 1 Zaire note. When I got it (about 1991) the exchange rate was 655,000 Zaire to the USD, so 1 Zaire = $0.0000015 US.

Also, the largest monetary note available at the time was the 500,000 note, which was worth about $0.75 US. So you had no choice but to carry fistfulls of the stuff. Needless to say, everyone had fannypacks for wallets.

Just to let you know that it could be worse....

A hole has been put in the wall of Utila's bank. Not just to let the infamous robbers back in, apparently it is for an ATM. So as soon as this ATM is here, crippled, elderly, pregnant people are no problem!! Woohoo!!

I'm off to the bank now, wish me luck and I'll report back in a few days!!!!!!!

diver567:
A hole has been put in the wall of Utila's bank. Not just to let the infamous robbers back in, apparently it is for an ATM. So as soon as this ATM is here, crippled, elderly, pregnant people are no problem!! Woohoo!!

Same deal on Roatan a few years back, the French Harbour bank along the main road had a masonry opening for the metal transaction box for drive-up banking (right at bicycle height).

The requisite piece of armored stainless metal pass-thru drawer and bulletproof glass was delayed a few months.

Same result.

Three or so years ago, somebody actually robbed the bank on Bonacca Key, Guanaja. this is rouughly like robbing the bank on... any tiny tiny island. (1/100 the size of Utila)

A) Everybody knows everybody
B) Where were you going to go, anyway?

Nevertheless, someone did.

GPH: Best wishes, take food & water.

Hey keep us posted on when the thing is actually working. Although we understand the whole cash and amex traveler's checks necessity, it'd be nice to know that we might have the opportunity to get some cash while we are there and will stop by from time to time to "try it out".

Thanks in advance for the updates on this surprisingly modern amenity on your lovely island.

roatanjan:
Thought you’d enjoy my adventures into banking while on Utila-Jan 2005

You learn pretty quickly that a trip to the bank is not for one in a hurry. You also learn to take a book. Most of the time you can count on being in line for at least 2 hours, sometimes longer.

I routinely spend that much time in the bank if I go on a Monday or a payday. Even just to make a loan payment here at Banco Occidente is a trial. First I have to go to the loan depratment and get the receipt so I can take it to a cashier. That's usually about a 30 minute wait. Then to the cashier - about 1 1/2 hours. On days other than a Monday or payday, it is much less time.

When you first enter the bank, the line up is back to the door. There is a zig zag pattern in the floor tiles that you line up on and follow. After waiting for quite a while with the line moving very slowly, you start to think you are finally making some progress and getting closer to the counter, just as things look good for it being your turn, a senior citizen comes in, and goes directly to the front of the line, well ok, that’s not too bad, although they take 45 min. to do their banking. Once done, your hopes are up again, nope, a pregnant gal comes in, and yes moves to the front of the line. Hmmm. She’s now done, hopes rise. The door opens and in comes a young guy on crutches …... To the head of the line he does go….

That's policy everywhere in the country - disabled, pregnant women and elderly get head of the line priveleges. Larger banks have a separate window for that category.
Some days when my kne is acting up, I need to use my cane (torn ligaments in March) and I get to go to the head of the line. Other days when I don't need it, it is the regular line.

BTW, seniors get a 25% discount at many restaurants, the sig other got 25% of an inpatient hospital bill which knocked 1000 lempira off the bill ( $56 at the time), 25% off HedmanAlas bus tickets, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom