Utila Banking adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi All

Yes, I will let you know as soon as it is working.

If it is Atlantida, only 2000 lempira at a time can be taken out. So to use your cash limit that your US bank allows, you need to make multiple withdrawals and get charged multiple fees.

If it is BAC Credomatic with a UNIBANC ATM, the max withdrawal is 5000 lempira at a time.

We have both here in Siguatepeque and if at all possible, I use Credomatic to avoid racking up too many of the exhorbitant international withdrawal fees ($5 a transaction if you are at Bank of America)

RoatanMan:

Three or so years ago, somebody actually robbed the bank on Bonacca Key, Guanaja. this is rouughly like robbing the bank on... any tiny tiny island. (1/100 the size of Utila)

5 guys tried robbing a bank in Siguatepeque. After the gunfire stopped and the smoke cleared, there were 5 dead bodies on the street. The bank was about 2 blocks from the local DGIC office...for those unfamiliar with Honduras, DGIC is similar to the FBI.

any update on the ATM? :)

DiversMom:
If it is BAC Credomatic with a UNIBANC ATM, the max withdrawal is 5000 lempira at a time.

We have both here in Siguatepeque and if at all possible, I use Credomatic to avoid racking up too many of the exhorbitant international withdrawal fees ($5 a transaction if you are at Bank of America)

The arrival of ATM's has saved me much time and frustration while diving/traveling.

Heh, I would eyeball the line at Utila's BGA Bank every time I walked by, looking for the right opportunity, after a day or two I could usually manage to get to the head of the line within 1/2 hour. Otherwise I could sometimes get lucky cashing my travelers checks at Henderson's although I usually would buy a drink or dive snack to justify emptying their cash register, they didn't seem to happy about giving up the small bills!

Using Visa or Mastercard debit vs credit cards can save considerable amounts on ATM withdrawal fees while traveling...

Except I'm not traveling. I live here but refuse to wait 30 days for deposited checks to clear on my dollar acount at the bank. I keep most of my cash in the US and I withdraw from ATMs only when absolutely necessary. I also have a lempira account for my school paycheck. The problem here is if you are stuck with only access to Banco Atlantida, they only allow 2000 lempira withdrawals at a time. In order to take out $300 (approx), you have to make two 2000 lempira withdrawals and then a 1000 lempira withdrawal. Three fees charged by your stateside bank. The other ATM in town (UNIBANC), when working allows 5000 lempira at one time, one withdrawal fee. I've been managing to keep it to two or three withdrawals a month.

When I travel, I use my credit card and then just make one large online payment to my credit card company.

DiversMom:
Except I'm not traveling. I live here but refuse to wait 30 days for deposited checks to clear on my dollar acount at the bank. I keep most of my cash in the US and I withdraw from ATMs only when absolutely necessary. I also have a lempira account for my school paycheck. The problem here is if you are stuck with only access to Banco Atlantida, they only allow 2000 lempira withdrawals at a time. In order to take out $300 (approx), you have to make two 2000 lempira withdrawals and then a 1000 lempira withdrawal. Three fees charged by your stateside bank. The other ATM in town (UNIBANC), when working allows 5000 lempira at one time, one withdrawal fee. I've been managing to keep it to two or three withdrawals a month.

When I travel, I use my credit card and then just make one large online payment to my credit card company.

Entiendo. I guess it does depend on which US bank you are dealing with, I am charged nothing by my bank for ATM transactions using my debit card. Sometimes a nominal withdrawal fee is charged by the local bank depending on which ATM network is used.

If nothing else this can save a bit on credit card cash advance fees of 2-3%. Online payments are certainly the way to go.

Just bumping this up to see if the ATMs are functioning yet. If not, aside from cash, what travelers checks, if any, are accepted on something approaching a consistent basis. Thanks!

Leaving for Utila next week and wanted to see if there is any change in the status of the ATM? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom