UTD Essentials anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterof0

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am working with UTD to potentially set up an Essentials class in Monterey. My first thought is the mid-late June timeframe, but am open to other options. Really just looking to see if there is any interest right now. The responses I get will determine will determine next steps.

If you you have any other questions please feel free to PM.

Thanks

Hi,
I'm pretty new to diving (12 dives) but I have (from what I've read) a DIR compliant setup and was thinking to take an essentials/ fundamentals class in the future (I'd like to get a few more dives in first though). It seems hazy to me what the differences between the UTD essentials and the GUE fundamentals training are though? Is there any reciprocity between the two organizations in case I wanted to take a more advanced class through GUE if I passed the UTD essentials class?

-Erik

There is no reciprocity between UTD and GUE, in that GUE will not accept UTD classes as equivalent. UTD, however, will admit divers at their level of training, subject to confirmation by an instructor.

Essentials is like rec Fundies. At least when my husband took it, it covered buoyancy, trim, non-silting propulsion, and S-drills. I do not know if they have added SMB deployment to the class now or not, but you can go to the website and ask an instructor (Unified Team Diving). The class is designed to be done in a single tank, as the first step toward a DIR approach to diving for the recreational diver.

Both GUE and UTD offer a complete technical diving curriculum. If you need GUE certs for certain boats, or for going on to cave training, you can go on to do Fundies later, and the Essentials training will be nothing but a help.

For me, the key distinction between Essentials and Fundamentals in that Essentials a workshop. While the skills learned and practiced during the class similar, there is no Pass/Fail at the end.

There's a lot of benefit to a workshop format. For me the biggest is reduced stress. Without the pressure to have perfect skills, pressure to practice before class, pressure to pass with a tech pass, you can spend the time learning and tweaking in class.

The UTD equivalent to Fundamentals is Intro-to-Tech, though there's some skill requirement differences there. For example, UTD's Intro-to-Tech requires an AL40 bottle.

Hey Don and TSandM,
Thanks for the info it sounds like the essentials class might be more my speed. I automatically get nervous if there's a test involved so the fundamentals class might not be the best class. Less stress probably means I would have more fun, learn more, and in the end get more out of the class.

Masterof0 what sort of fee is involved? Are you still looking into it?

I am working with UTD to potentially set up an Essentials class in Monterey. My first thought is the mid-late June timeframe, but am open to other options. Really just looking to see if there is any interest right now. The responses I get will determine will determine next steps.

If you you have any other questions please feel free to PM.

Thanks

As long as it remains a kool-aid free zone I'd be interested

There is an online classroom which has all of the reading materials associated with the class and it is $50 at Unified Team Diving (UTD) International LLC - (253) 632-5100. As for the actual class, you can have up to 6 people in the class and it looks like it runs 450-500, but it is up to the instructor, for a 3 day class.

Here is a link to the page for more details about the class:
Unified Team Diving (UTD) Essentials

Mike - I have spoken with a couple of the instructors and it is definitely a much more laid back approach than what you have experienced. I think there is a lot to be learned, but without having to "drink the cool-aid." The whole purpose is to A) work on skills to make you a more proficient diver and B) expose you to the basics of DIR to help you determine if you want to further your training using the DIR philosophy.

You guys will love the class! A number of us have taken it and pretty much everyone has taken away a huge amount from it - just watching the instructors in the water is eye opening. And AG has recently put together some top notch online learning materials, I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Mikemill, I hope you give it a chance. UTD was started to promote the benefits of team-oriented diving without any of the baggage associated with the DIR label (in a way, GUE is doing the same). Don't let what you've read on the internet turn you off to a really unique class experience; I think you'll find the reality differs greatly from the lore.

You guys will love the class! A number of us have taken it and pretty much everyone has taken away a huge amount from it - just watching the instructors in the water is eye opening. And AG has recently put together some top notch online learning materials, I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Mikemill, I hope you give it a chance. UTD was started to promote the benefits of team-oriented diving without any of the baggage associated with the DIR label (in a way, GUE is doing the same). Don't let what you've read on the internet turn you off to a really unique class experience; I think you'll find the reality differs greatly from the lore.

As long as they let the training / information speak for itself then I'll have no problem. Like other aspects of life I do seek other points of view. What I have a problem with is when people try to convince me that their point of view is the only correct one. I much prefer to decide that on my own.

Back
Top Bottom