UTD Essentials anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as they let the training / information speak for itself then I'll have no problem. Like other aspects of life I do seek other points of view. What I have a problem with is when people try to convince me that their point of view is the only correct one. I much prefer to decide that on my own.

I think you'll find neither UTD nor GUE is like that in the least (again, it sounds like all the internet drama may have done the DIR system a disservice in your case). I think what you'll see is that behind all the protocol and technique, there's a real and substantive reason as to why it is the way it is, and why it's considered important to the system as a whole. All of my instructors have been very good about answering questions, explaining rationales, and discussing the backgrounds and decisions behind the practice.

Either way, once you have an idea of what DIR is about, you'll be in a much better position to decide whether or not you care to look into it further. And hey, as you say, it may be that it just doesn't float your boat, and that's totally fine; but now you'll know from firsthand experience instead of internet hearsay. :D And even if it's completely oil and water, I bet there will still be some beneficial skills and education to pick up which will make the class worth your time. The price may seem steep, but what's provided for the money is quite surprising compared to the typical scuba industry educational model.

Enjoy the class guys, and feel free to inquire if you have any questions about it!

I'm quite sure the $450 or so is per person. When Steve did my Fundies class, I sat down and figured out the hours he spent on the class and what he earned per student, and it was about $10 an hour. These are intense classes, and I don't think the instructors are one bit overpaid.

NONE of my instruction through GUE or AG has been doctrinaire. I have always been presented with a way of doing things, and permitted and encouraged to ask all the questions I wanted. There was always an answer that satisfied me, or in the few cases where I wasn't convinced, subsequent diving experience has taught me that my teachers were right. I am not much of a follower, and I intensely dislike being told what to do "because I say so". If the system didn't make sense, and didn't actually work in a lot of active diving in a variety of environments, I wouldn't follow it.

I think you'll find neither UTD nor GUE is like that in the least (again, it sounds like all the internet drama may have done the DIR system a disservice in your case). I think what you'll see is that behind all the protocol and technique, there's a real and substantive reason as to why it is the way it is, and why it's considered important to the system as a whole. All of my instructors have been very good about answering questions, explaining rationales, and discussing the backgrounds and decisions behind the practice.

Either way, once you have an idea of what DIR is about, you'll be in a much better position to decide whether or not you care to look into it further. And hey, as you say, it may be that it just doesn't float your boat, and that's totally fine; but now you'll know from firsthand experience instead of internet hearsay. :D And even if it's completely oil and water, I bet there will still be some beneficial skills and education to pick up which will make the class worth your time. The price may seem steep, but what's provided for the money is quite surprising compared to the typical scuba industry educational model.

Enjoy the class guys, and feel free to inquire if you have any questions about it!

Wasn't trying to bash anything, just wanted to make sure that the class fit with what I expect. Sounds like it does.

I will say that $500 has me rethinking it a bit. That's like 3 trips to Monterey :D

NTEC / UTD / GUE-F are wonderful systems, full of excellent information and skills. You simply cannot go wrong with any of the above training. Even if you don't want to rock the long hose, or stow your SMB/reel setup in your left DS pocket, you'll still come away from the class better than you went in.

Folks,
This class does require the DIR setup? BPW/long hose,etc..?
Is the rental of single tank rig an option?
A BPW is certainly in my future but tax time was rough this year!

Thanks,
Drew

Folks,
This class does require the DIR setup? BPW/long hose,etc..?
Is the rental of single tank rig an option?
A BPW is certainly in my future but tax time was rough this year!

Thanks,
Drew

Hey Drew,

You can generally take it in whatever equipment (BCD, single-tank, etc.) you have. The only requirements are non-split fins, a primary regulator on a 5ft hose and a bungeed octo. You can read TS&M's recent post on Essentials equipment requirements here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...like-idea-but-not-equipment-requirements.html

You should probably ask the specific instructor about renting equipment. Some do (most of these guys have a trailerful of gear), some don't.

Bungeed second isn't required.

http://www.utdinternational.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=403:
Required Equipment:

o 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose. Without this you will not be able to learn and conduct air sharing correctly.
o Fins: non-split variety. Without these you will be unable to learn proficient fin kick.

I'm gonna have to look at the cost of getting the primary on the long hose (which I've been meaning to do) and keep the rest of my setup as is. Functionally it is very close to the desired setup and I'd rather learn to dive my gear then dive another setup of gear and go back to my regular setup (since the cost of changing everything is prohibitive at this time)

Ah, that may be the case (perhaps to allow Air2 users to take the class without needing to acquire a real octo). In the "Guidelines" on the same page though, it does list "Long hose primary, and necklace style backup regulator hose configuration." May not be "required" of course.

It's probably worth touching base with the instructor to confirm (since that could be a significant barrier to taking the class) but I imagine you're right.

I'm gonna have to look at the cost of getting the primary on the long hose (which I've been meaning to do) and keep the rest of my setup as is. Functionally it is very close to the desired setup and I'd rather learn to dive my gear then dive another setup of gear and go back to my regular setup (since the cost of changing everything is prohibitive at this time)

Mike
I have a couple of 5ft hoses, so if you decide to take the course and want to use one, you are welcome to it. (If you want to buy it, you are welcome to do that as well)

Back
Top Bottom