UTD Essentials anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike
I have a couple of 5ft hoses, so if you decide to take the course and want to use one, you are welcome to it. (If you want to buy it, you are welcome to do that as well)

My LDS has 6' hoses for like $25 so I might just get one.

How does the 5' hose fit ya? Enough slack in the line to avoid constricting movement?

5ft fits me fine, but I definitely like the 7' better....Go with the 6ft'er.

I also have spare MK25 if you want to borrow if for class. It has 5 LP ports so it should work just fine

After all the classes you've taken with Jim / Ron, you may need to take UTD essentials twice to fix the problems. :D

Just kidding Jim / Ron.

Ah, that may be the case (perhaps to allow Air2 users to take the class without needing to acquire a real octo). In the "Guidelines" on the same page though, it does list "Long hose primary, and necklace style backup regulator hose configuration." May not be "required" of course.

It's probably worth touching base with the instructor to confirm (since that could be a significant barrier to taking the class) but I imagine you're right.
If it was like my class with Jeff S, the OP is going to want a bungeed backup and long hose. They just aren't going to be able to do the basic 6 correctly with an Air2.

My advice would be to take the class with the minimum equipment the instructor recommends: paddle fins, long hose & bungeed backup.

You can evaluate what equipment changes are necessary after the class, and the post class evaluation is a good time to discuss this with your instructor.

FWIW, I did the class with a seven footer, but I do all of my warm water dives with a 5 footer.

John_B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom