USS Oriskany penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
Seriously? That sucks.....

Yep. The major delay was caused by someone doing something like "environmental assessment" died or was killed (accident I guess). Anyway, they can't get someone else to do the work and paperwork in time to sink it this summer and they are afraid of the upcoming hurricane season and have decided not to rush it and go ahead and secure it sometime this summer in place for hurricane season.

There have been some news stories about it in the FL newspapers....

I also found this on the Oriskany site.

http://www.ussoriskany.com/id18.html

teknitroxdiver:
Can you spell E... P... A... ?
S

teknitroxdiver:
darn tuttn
the second i turn 18 is the second i sign up for dm
still need more dives though
ps anyone know when it is finaly sinking
i want to go this summer when i go to pcola

Spectre:
There was a tour of the Oriskany this past monday for surveying potential diver hazards... while some of the shots look incredibly alluring, read the text and remember what depths these areas are going to be at:

http://uwex.us/oriskany.htm

Wow. This thing is no where close to being sunk. There is debris all over the ship. I wonder how those large areas of peeing paint will be afftected?

Is that an escalator in the 4th or 5th pic on the left column? I didn't realize the put these on ships! (though I guess it makes sense).

mike_s:
Wow. This thing is no where close to being sunk. There is debris all over the ship. I wonder how those large areas of peeing paint will be afftected?

Not sure what you are referring to as debris. Looks pretty clean to me; but of course I wasn't there so I can't really comment.

I was a participant in the tour. Much of the cut cabling you see will be removed- in the hanger deck and above. The cabling will likely remain in the gallery deck and below (its amatter of funding). The ship is, for the most part, pretty clean- a lot of the machinery and stuff you see in the hanger deck belongs to Resolve Marine and is being used for te cleanup- it, of course, will be removed.

mike_s:

Is that an escalator in the 4th or 5th pic on the left column? I didn't realize the put these on ships! (though I guess it makes sense).

Just thought I would point out that they do NOT put escalators on carriers. There are elevators in many places, but what you are looking at is a typical steep naval stairwell. These are everywhere, and take some getting used to when you first report on board. Steep, tight, and remember "Down ladder!" means to get out of the way!

Knavey:
Just thought I would point out that they do NOT put escalators on carriers.

No offense... but:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/usnshtp/cv/scb27cl.htm

"A distinctive new feature was a taller, shorter island. To better protect aircrews, ready rooms were moved to below the armored hangar deck, with a large escalator on the starboard side amidships to move airmen up to the flight deck."

Back
Top Bottom