USS Oriskany penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat:
Any chance they'd leave a few planes on that baby? :eyebrow:

Nope, no planes.
They acutally even removed the flight deck.

It had chemicals that could harm marine life.

Would be cool to see one in the hanger deck though. But that'll be so deep that most won't make it down there and much less penetrate it.

teknitroxdiver:
You're correct on the Gulf Shores angle. It's going to be sunk equidistant between Pensacola and Gulf Shores...maybe Gary's Gulf Divers will be out there pretty soon. Off topic: anyone dove with Gary's?
Sorry, it'll be East of Pensacola pass, on a course toward the "nipple" that lies between Pensacola and Destin.
That'll make it a long ride indeed from Gulf Shores. Not undoable, but longer.
Rick

mike_s:
Large Navy ships that I've been on before are easy enough to get lost on when they are still floating and you don't have to worry about running out of air! :)
Boy howdy! I've lived on carriers, for two years once and for six to nine months several times - there were still places on the ship where I had to refer to the bulkhead markings to figure out where I was and how to get where I wanted to be... and even then there were dead ends. Penetrating the O boat (other than the hangar bay) will be an incredibly stupid thing to do for anyone not properly trained and equiped for it. Even the hangar bay will require deep dive training beyond the standard "deep diver" course.
The good news for the recreational diver is that the island is big enough to keep you occupied for many dives without getting bored.
Rick

Bobby F:
nah going to the engine room first dive!!!! 80)
Which one? :)
Rick

I live here in Pensacola home the the Oriskany. took pics of it the other day.
evrything will be open and accessible, air needs to escape so that the sinking may be accurately carried out. will sit at 212 feet, top island will be at 60 feet if all goes well.
More than likely i will be on a Navy vessel video taping the event.

beermunder:
I live here in Pensacola home the the Oriskany. took pics of it the other day.
evrything will be open and accessible, air needs to escape so that the sinking may be accurately carried out. will sit at 212 feet, top island will be at 60 feet if all goes well.
More than likely i will be on a Navy vessel video taping the event.

If you actually get to tape the sinking would you be interested making a few copies? I won't be there in person for the event but sure would like to see a tape of it.

Pensacola has the worst communication between the LDS and charter operations out of any diving town. I'm almost tempted to start the "Pensacola Scuba Association" just so maybe things can get things done and obtain accurate answers to diving questions pertaining to the area. Perhaps meeting once a month where owners, operators and just plain curious divers can meet, bs, and come to some conclusions about meeting the needs of those of us suffering from
Gill-Envy. Think about this...the carrier's island will start at 60' just where the majority of divers will be and fisherman... some hook and line cutting in the name of safetywill run them off after a while. The carrier isn't there for the surface fisherman, but that's just the way I see it. And don't be suprized if you see some redneck out there 22.5 miles out in his john-boat standing ontop of a step ladder looking for a good run of Cobia.

Padipro:
If you actually get to tape the sinking would you be interested making a few copies? I won't be there in person for the event but sure would like to see a tape of it.

Underwater video is my bag. or at least for the past three years for the Navy. I'm a civilian now, but if my connections come through i should either be there or be easily privy to a copy of any and all underwater videos. the above ground will be surely covered by all the major news networks from air and land.

on another note, what you all think of the conshelf-se regs? I have been collecting them on Ebay for use with students during instruction. I go to Hall's Diving center for my Instructor course in March. so I have been collecting more gear. any inputs are appreciated
thanks!

beermunder:
I'm almost tempted to start the "Pensacola Scuba Association" just so maybe things can get things done and obtain accurate answers to diving questions pertaining to the area. Perhaps meeting once a month where owners, operators and just plain curious divers can meet, bs, and come to some conclusions about meeting the needs of those of us suffering from
Gill-Envy.

There is a dive club in Pensacola that meets monthly at Dive Pros, I'm not sure if they are actually affiliated with that shop, but apparently they have atleast arranged to meet on their property. I can't really comment on how well they are informed or how well organized they are as I've never actually met with them. I know about it because of an email sent to me - which I don't have anymore but it shouldn't be too hard to find out more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom