USS Oriskany penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
P1010033_001.sized.jpg

I don't think you guys are gonna have a hard time getting into this sucker :)

More pics here http://www.suprbugman.com/albums/album50/

Getting in is usually not the problem.....

SuPrBuGmAn:
P1010033_001.sized.jpg

I don't think you guys are gonna have a hard time getting into this sucker :)

More pics here http://www.suprbugman.com/albums/album50/

Won't be in for long though, unless you're diving doubles. The deck will sit about 130 feet deep. To penetrate the "Hanger deck" from the sides where the plane elevators are, you'll be about 150' deep.

mike_s:
Won't be in for long though, unless you're diving doubles. The deck will sit about 130 feet deep. To penetrate the "Hanger deck" from the sides where the plane elevators are, you'll be about 150' deep.
Of course most of the doors you see open on that ship are in the tower which will be above 130ft, almost up to 60-70ft, so some chance to get inside if trained and equiped - of course diving doubles would be prudent whatever depth if you are going a substantial distance inside (ie not a quick swim through). :wink:

simbrooks:
Of course most of the doors you see open on that ship are in the tower which will be above 130ft, almost up to 60-70ft, so some chance to get inside if trained and equiped - of course diving doubles would be prudent whatever depth if you are going a substantial distance inside (ie not a quick swim through). :wink:

Mighty easy to get lost on a ship that big through those walkways. I don't be penetrating it most likely. Large Navy ships that I've been on before are easy enough to get lost on when they are still floating and you don't have to worry about running out of air! :)

I do think it would be cool though to penetrate and dive in the hanger deck..... That's a BIG space. But the depths there would most likely keep me out of those areas. If it was shallower, then I'd love to!

The biggest openings in the ship are through the hangar deck, most of them have "windows" on both ends so it could be used to swim directly through - but they will be sitting below rec-depths.

The main hangar door is wide open, the elevator is removed, so looking around inside the hangar will be be easy with lots of access through the main elevator door as well as 5-6 large schoolbus sized windows.

:06: Anyone know of ops in the area that will run tec dives to the wreck when it's finally sunk? 30 minutes in the hanger deck would be pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom