USN decompression 30fsw/9m with 100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@OTF, humans don't inexplicably tolerate higher PPO2s in dry chambers than they do in the water.
Except we do tolerate higher PPO2s in the dry chamber vs in the water

plus, on top of that the consequences of O2 toxicity in a chamber tend to be less

Except we do tolerate higher PPO2s in the dry chamber vs in the water
Yes, but not inexplicably (as evidenced by the articles you linked)! :wink: I was focused on the mitigation of seizure risk, as it had been mentioned up-thread and should have chosen my words more carefully. I apologize for any confusion. Be safe!

Yes, but not inexplicably (as evidenced by the articles you linked)!
I don't know what you mean. Do you mean: Yes, but we don't know why? If so, I agree.

Perhaps back up a step. Why are you trying to adapt USN tables which use surface supplied helmets or 2ata dry chambers for O2 deco to plan your dives in 2021? We have tools specifically for sport diving nowadays.

Hello,

I do not try to adapt. I try to understand and out of interest :) These are tables that are publicly available and even regular sport diving agencies like PTRD are ‘using’ them. But rarely or even never you see diving examples (scenarios) in the theory lessons that use deco with 100% oxy at 6, let stand 9m or propose an alternative for the 9m ‘issue’

Thank you all for your answers. It helped a bit.

Reactions: OTF
Some technical divers do use 100% deco gas at 6m. Some agencies prefer this over other mixes (e.g. 80%). Long decompression hangs on 100% require “air breaks” periodically to reduce the pulmonary oxygen toxicity and give your lungs a break.

Some technical divers do use 100% deco gas at 6m. Some agencies prefer this over other mixes (e.g. 80%). Long decompression hangs on 100% require “air breaks” periodically to reduce the pulmonary oxygen toxicity and give your lungs a break.

I'm not aware of any agency that does not advocate 100% deco gas at 6m and certainly not one that advocates 80%. 70-80% gases are only used by cheap divers that don't want to buy a booster *note that filling 70-80% is convenient because an O2 bank bottle comes in at 2000ish psi and if you top it off to 3000ish psi with air then the mix is in the 70-80% range. It has nothing to do with decompression efficiency.

I disagree. 70% gets me out of the water faster than 100% O2 on dives in the 150ft range that require 30-45min of deco. I can get on my deco gas at 40 ft instead of breathing backgas all the way up to 20ft. Has nothing to do with being cheap or making a poor selection.

I disagree. 70% gets me out of the water faster than 100% O2 on dives in the 150ft range that require 30-45min of deco. I can get on my deco gas at 40 ft instead of breathing backgas all the way up to 20ft. Has nothing to do with being cheap or making a poor selection.
Sure, 50% or 70% are great first deco bottles, but you still are better off with 100% at 6m. That is all that is being said.

@OTF, humans don't inexplicably tolerate higher PPO2s in dry chambers than they do in the water.
I believe humans do tolerate higher PPO2s in a dry chamber. We have had a number of threads on this topic over the years I have been on ScubaBoard.

Gotcha, I guess I misunderstood the contention. I would never advocate for anything but 100% for only a 20ft stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom