Poseidon Regulators and 100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend that had an jetstream blow up and shoot flames on his o2 bottle.
That has to be the first second stage fire that I've ever heard of. The mechanics of Jetstream initial valve closure make it possible, but I find it hard to believe there was enough adiabatic heating at 135psi to catch the silicone'ish plastic valve insert on fire.
I believe your story, but what's the back story about other fuel in the second stage from improper lubricants or poor cleaning?

That has to be the first second stage fire that I've ever heard of. The mechanics of Jetstream initial valve closure make it possible, but I find it hard to believe there was enough adiabatic heating at 135psi to catch the silicone'ish plastic valve insert on fire.
I believe your story, but what's the back story about other fuel in the second stage from improper lubricants or poor cleaning?
Flames were coming out of the 1st stage.

Flames were coming out of the 1st stage.
Ah! My misunderstanding.
Now, the adiabatic heating makes more sense. With the need to open the valve relatively quickly, to pressurize the second stage servo compartment, to inflate the valve insert, to close the valve, to stop freeflow... it all makes more sense. Add in impact ignition from tank particulates and it sounds plausible.

But the question remains... is there something inherent in a Poseidon first exposed to slam opening that makes it more likely to ignite than another brand? A SB'er formerly intimately involved with Poseidon commented elsewhere about the silicone lube formerly used in machining, and the difficulty in removing said silicone in oxygen cleaning.
Or was it poor maintenance that prompted this particular disaster? I suspect we'll never know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom