Do you carry an SMB

• Yes

Votes: 173 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it is advantageous to have a buddy along to assist you until you get the hang of it.

Actually, for me, the moral of this vid is, spend wisely but buy quality.

Dive Hin Daeng, October 2006 - YouTube

not in caves, but definitely in the ocean!

though i need a new one. it floated away in irene. :(

ok people, help me out. I'm new to all this. My LDS hasn't tried to sell me an SMB yet, so I haven't even thought of buying one. Per this poll and y'alls reactions, buying one and learning how to deploy would be useful. At what point should I consider adding this to my gear if I don't plan on getting too adventuresome during my "newb" dive stage?

When diving near the shore, I don't usually clip it on but I definitively clip it on for boat dives.

Oh no. I have mine always. Not just for my boat to locate me, but so other boats can see me. Years ago, the little 3 footers were called "see me sausages". Even if you can swim to shore, wouldn't be nice for other boats to see you if you're stuck at the surface?

Such cheap insurance. I was struck by a boat once, and really hated it.

ok people, help me out. I'm new to all this. My LDS hasn't tried to sell me an SMB yet, so I haven't even thought of buying one. Per this poll and y'alls reactions, buying one and learning how to deploy would be useful. At what point should I consider adding this to my gear if I don't plan on getting too adventuresome during my "newb" dive stage?
There is some skill required to deploy it safely. You could probably figure it out yourself (in shallow water, with minimal nitrogen load) with the help of some of the instructional videos kicking around the ScubaBoard, but ideally you would get some help from an instructor or mentor.

Even if you have no inclination or ability to deploy it from depth, you should still have something--an SMB or a safety sausage--to inflate on the surface. Safety sausages are generally a lot cheaper, so get one before your next non-quarry dive.

At what point should I consider adding this to my gear
Right Now. Hog has a wonderful one that inflates orally, from your inflator hose OR your regulator. The only time I don't carry one on my BC is when I am in a cave.

Few ever plan to get separated from the boat or group. So, its up to you to prepare for that contingency should it occur. Be Prepared is not only the Boy Scout motto, its a good way to live.

I have one all the time, no matter what. Expect the unexpected. I prefer to have one and not need it than
need it and not have it.

Back
Top Bottom