Do you carry an SMB

• Yes

Votes: 173 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry my smb. I keep it in the pocket of my harness.

Goes with me on every dive.

Gordon (OP), next time you see me, just ask me to prove it. If I don't have it on me (only in a diving situation, not in Carrefour), you win a case of beer

All safety equipment (SMB, Light, Mirror, Whistle, Cutting Tool) is a standard part of my kit. I dive the same kit every time; Ocean, Spring, Lake, Quarry, ... it doesn't matter.

Reactions: D_B
I've it in my pocket every time.
It's very useful for every diver.

Take it every time when you dives.

I carry one and require my AOW students to shoot one from depth. Sorry that I don't have an article to send you to! :D

Here's the thing about the recent incident. It sounds as if someone answered for these individuals on board as they did a roll call. By their account, they were doing a drift dive... so where was their FLAG??? If I get separated from the flag, the first thing I do is to send my tethered SMB to the surface. No, I don't wait until I am at my safety stop. Why??? The boat can SEE my location and KNOW that I am still in the water. I doubt the incident would have happened if they had stuck to the flag or shot their SMB for the boat to see. No, I am not commenting on what the boat did or did not do here. I am merely pointing out how we ALL can help to avoid these types of situations.

I always carried a small surface inflatable buoy on every dive. Recently, I have upgraded to a 7 foot one that I can deploy at depth. Now I carry both. The small one gets clipped to a D-ring, and the larger one gets bungied to the backplate.

I carry an SMB on certain dives ... solo dives and boat dives, specifically ... but not usually on shore dives unless I'm diving at a site where I think I might actually have a use for one. Sites where current might carry us away from shore, for example.

Like Pete, I teach SMB deployment as part of my standard AOW curriculum ... I consider it a required skill for a pretty fair percentage of dives in Puget Sound ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting poll results. 95% of ScubaBoarders carry one, but they tend to better informed than most I suppose. I see an awful lot of divers without SMB's; even on boats that require them.

I know two instructors at the LDS who require AOW students to shoot an SMB from depth.

Thanks everyone for posting and voting.

Simon I will be checking on you :wink:

Currently in Aqaba diving with a two friends who are also both carrying SMBs plus ten UK divers who are not! In fact jsut asked one of them if he had one and he said yes it is up in my room, I was told that I did not need it :confused:

Currently in Aqaba diving with a two friends who are also both carrying SMBs plus ten UK divers who are not! In fact jsut asked one of them if he had one and he said yes it is up in my room, I was told that I did not need it :confused:

I'm guessing the UK divers are normally in such extreme conditions, they see Aqaba as so benign as to have no need.

Back
Top Bottom