Do you carry an SMB

• Yes

Votes: 173 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider my safety sausage a basic piece of equipment, and carry it on nearly every dive. I'd liken it to a dive knife.

And I've used it plenty of times, too, esp. on boat dives in FL. There they really depend on you to be seen in order to pick you up, and this is the only good way to accomplish that.

The only time I can remember when I didn't carry it was on boat dives with Red Sail in Grand Cayman. I asked the specifically whether I should carry one, and they emphatically responded that it was not required or recommended, so I left it at home. But after reading that recent news about the divers in FL I might ignore such advice in the future.

I am thinking about buying a new one, though. The one that I have has a tube and valve inflation arrangement that is hard to use underwater. I'd now prefer one that I can inflate by exhaling or with my octo. This didn't occur to me until I realized that you could use your sausage as an "anchor" for safety stops, saving yourself a whole lot of trouble maintaining a 15' depth. These make it a lot easier.

Used to hook it to the back d-ring on my plate (a really nice Carter) until one day after a boat dive from a RHIB boat I noticed it missing. :(
I think the roll-off must have unhooked the boltsnap.
I promptly installed pockets on my drysuit and there it goes every dive along with my spare mask.
I don't always bring it when working with students in local quarry (avg depth 6-8 meters). Other than that it is with me.

If a diver gets swept away by a current, remember one can sometimes use his mask as a signaling device. To get the attention of a distant boat, extend your arm and hold up one finger. Direct the sun's reflection on the tip of your finger and using it like the front sight of a rifle aim it at the boat. Lights attract attention.
Then flash the old signal of distress: S O S. That is 3 dots, 3 dashes and 3 dots

If a diver gets swept away by a current, remember one can sometimes use his mask as a signaling device. To get the attention of a distant boat, extend your arm and hold up one finger. Direct the sun's reflection on the tip of your finger and using it like the front sight of a rifle aim it at the boat. Lights attract attention.
Then flash the old signal of distress: S O S. That is 3 dots, 3 dashes and 3 dots

I sure you didn't mean it this way but you have to admit it's quite the mental image...!

:wink:

All the best, James

PS - it's a good tip nevertheless, and thanks!

I travel by myself on most of my dive trips and thus I get to dive with a variety of dive buddies. Never mind that I would rather dive without an assigned buddy (I feel safer) that is a different subject. The boats normally want you assigned to a buddy and I go with the flow.
I have been watching divers on dive boats in Florida and Cozumel for the past several months with some interest as to how many are carrying Surface Marker Buoys. I am surprised that the majority seem to be carrying some form of Buoy. What I find more interesting is that when I ask the diver how many times they have deployed the Buoy the normal answer is never and I have watched two instances where the diver could not get the Buoy unhooked from his vest when asked. This past week I watched a diver spend several minutes getting his Buoy out while he was at the safety stop and he ended up on the surface without realizing where he was in the water before he was ready to deploy the Buoy.
Our industry needs to speak about learning to use gear if it going to be worn. I plan to ask my dive buddy from now on if they have trained on how to use the Buoy if they are going to wear it. If my buddy has never deployed a Buoy I will spend some time practicing how to unhook the Buoy and deploy it prior to going in the water.

Hi all
I always carry at least one and usually two (incase the first snags), as we have some vicious 10mtr tides over here with 8 knts easily achievable and if the boat misses you, your of to southern france if your lucky. I even went so far as to invent one specifically for night diving so the boat can see you either from point of entry, at pre-arranged time from the bottom or at the end of the dive.

After 15 years of carrying the thing I finally needed it.
It was comnforting to have and also I'm glad that we practice deploying it at least once every trip.

Not only do we carry the little ones that most people carry, but also the huge 15 foot ones! They have saved us and our dive group twice now, where the boat could not see the small one when the surface chop & current picked up while diving. I valve my life for the $100 bucks I paid!!!!

where i usually dive, u'd be really silly to dive without one.....

when i was on my AOW, my instructor did deploy one and he got clipped in the head when he surfaced..... the stupid pwc rider failed to comprehend that the smb which says diver below actually means someone is down there...... he had a case because he exercised all reasonable caution.

In my own experience, I was almost run down by an overzealous worker tender last weekend who was trying to get us out of the area where they were starting to lay cables. The tender also violated maritime rules by crossing over the marine park line to tell the rest of the divers in the bay about the cable laying..... any diver who wasn't looking around properly could have gone smack into the hull of that boat......

I don't know how strong my argument is relative to what other people think, but i think there's a strong case for me to carry one everytime i go diving!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom