Using Split fins in Strong Current!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think spit fins are a gimmick..
Never tried them but would gladly change my mind if they'd perform better than my old style solid ones........ given the chance to try 'em.

SeaHound:
I am about to purchase a pair of Apollo Bio Extra Torque Fins but am discouraged by the rumour that splits dont work well in currents. Is it true? How is it possible for a fin to "not work well" in current if it is generating stronger propulsion ins still waters? Anyone care to shed light on this?

"I am about to purchase a pair of Apollo Bio Extra Torque Fins but am discouraged by the rumour that splits dont work well in currents. Is it true? How is it possible for a fin to "not work well" in current if it is generating stronger propulsion ins still waters? Anyone care to shed light on this?"

It isn't possible. Several so called tests have shown the Apollo splits to be the fastest and most efficient fin or very close to being so. Frankly, I am skeptical of all "scuba" related tests because they are all done with no control, no method, no instrumentation, no statistics, just antedotal, "yep, these feel better", "yep, this one is a Class 1 reg cuz it breathes with more torque" etc and I say "Baloney".
I have not used the Apollo fins yet but what you have here is the "fin X" vs the Jet fin. In my opinion and it is nothing more than that, any number of fins will out perform the uncomfortable, boot requiring, arch killing Jets. That is on my body and with my feet under my conditions. Yours may vary. I say buy them and try them and the worst is your out a 100 dollars, keep them in that case as a back up set. If your diving warm water off of a boat try the full foot version sans heavy boot. Good luck with your decision. N

Randy43068:
I think spit fins are a gimmick..
Never tried them but would gladly change my mind if they'd perform better than my old style solid ones........ given the chance to try 'em.

Serious on that... Put money where the mouth is?? Order up a pair of Bio Fins from me... I'll give you 30 days - no questions asked to return them for a full refund if you don't think they are better than your solid fins... If they were a gimmick, would I offer that??

How's that for confidence? You'll love 'em.

When Mike Ferrara closed his dive shop he had a fair of unsold biofins left and he sent them to me to try.

I found that I could back up and do helicopter turns with them... but with no where the efficiency that I can with Turtles. Duct taping the Biofins helped a little but not enough to bother.

Also... when it comes to propelling yourself out of the water and onto a RIB split fins are no match for the instant power of Jets/Turtles.

I'll take you up on that Larry. If you can wait 'till warmer weather in arrives in Ohio I'll give them an honest try.

I'm qute skeptical about the things, I must admit.

Thanks!

Randy

scubatoys:
Serious on that... Put money where the mouth is?? Order up a pair of Bio Fins from me... I'll give you 30 days - no questions asked to return them for a full refund if you don't think they are better than your solid fins... If they were a gimmick, would I offer that??

How's that for confidence? You'll love 'em.

Seahound, an RIB is an inflatable boat that uses a molded fiberglass lower hull. It is a hybrid cross between a traditional inflatable and a fiberglass boat. They are fast, super seaworthy, proably the best dive boats foot for foot and lb for lb and unfortuantely cost a bunch, have very little respect in the USA, no dealer support in the USA, no repairs in the USA BUT elsewhere in the world they are THE boat for serious aqua adventure in the sub 20ish foot range. Inflatables in the USA are generally seen as pool toys when in fact they are tougher, faster, more seaworthy, more durable than much larger glass boats. I have a Novurania inflatable, approx 15 feet long, it has a wooden keel with fabric bottom and wooden floor. Handles 50 horses and is a wonderful dive boat and I am fully certain that I could get in and out with Apollo fins. Dang, I have managed to get in and out with UDT Duckfeet, Voit Vikings, Voit Skindivers, Mares PowerPlanas and a whole assortment of fins other than the ubiquitous and generally over rated Jets. A good stiff fin that has strong intital accelration may not be the fastest or most efficient but probably does make boarding easier but my inflatable sits so low to the water I have managed to slither in and out with no fins.
I used to do 10ks and even a few marathons, runners have all sorts of preferences about shoes. Truth is everyone has a different musculature, skeleton, stride, weight, and on and on thus the reason there are so many kinds of shoes, fins are the same way, some people are very suited to Jets and if you are a "jet" sorta guy/lady then using anything else will hamper your comfort and performance and if your not a Jet guy then using them will make you a very unhappy diver, I have been very unhappy!

Until they put an anaotomical hydrualic powered test maniken into a hydro tunnel with full instrumentation and computer control to simulate a variety of kicking styles and body shapes and sizes and then actually measure force/energy in and force/energy out and thrust and sustained efficiency via calories burned per FPM and then also do fluid/Reynolds flow studies then the selection of fins will just have to be based on antedotal word of mouth recommendations and a certain amount of luck, snake oil. Early era fin test for the Navy showed that stiff long fins were the most powerfull and fastest and that they also required the most effort--hmm----the UDT Duckfeet were the winner and that was prior to the existence of Jets I think so how they would do in that particular test will never be answered. There is no one best choice for everyone, if Apollo splits work for you then use them and if Jet guys laugh at your fins then find comfort in knowing that you are out on the edge of reality, outside the mainstream, where few dare to tread, beyond guruology, what can it hurt other than a few dollars spent to find out and like good shoes, when you find what works--BUY SEVERAL pairs. N, the eclectic, non conventional, anti-guru and skeptical diver

Randy43068:
I'll take you up on that Larry. If you can wait 'till warmer weather in arrives in Ohio I'll give them an honest try.

I'm qute skeptical about the things, I must admit.

Thanks!

Randy

All right.. as soon as the water is warm enough for you to go and do some diving, you give me a shout - We'll have you endorsing splits after the first dive...

Nemrod:
Seahound, an RIB is an inflatable boat that uses a molded fiberglass lower hull. It is a hybrid cross between a traditional inflatable and a fiberglass boat. They are fast, super seaworthy, proably the best dive boats foot for foot and lb for lb and unfortuantely cost a bunch, have very little respect in the USA, no dealer support in the USA, no repairs in the USA BUT elsewhere in the world they are THE boat for serious aqua adventure in the sub 20ish foot range. Inflatables in the USA are generally seen as pool toys when in fact they are tougher, faster, more seaworthy, more durable than much larger glass boats. I have a Novurania inflatable, approx 15 feet long, it has a wooden keel with fabric bottom and wooden floor. Handles 50 horses and is a wonderful dive boat and I am fully certain that I could get in and out with Apollo fins. Dang, I have managed to get in and out with UDT Duckfeet, Voit Vikings, Voit Skindivers, Mares PowerPlanas and a whole assortment of fins other than the ubiquitous and generally over rated Jets. A good stiff fin that has strong intital accelration may not be the fastest or most efficient but probably does make boarding easier but my inflatable sits so low to the water I have managed to slither in and out with no fins.
I used to do 10ks and even a few marathons, runners have all sorts of preferences about shoes. Truth is everyone has a different musculature, skeleton, stride, weight, and on and on thus the reason there are so many kinds of shoes, fins are the same way, some people are very suited to Jets and if you are a "jet" sorta guy/lady then using anything else will hamper your comfort and performance and if your not a Jet guy then using them will make you a very unhappy diver, I have been very unhappy!
SORRY HIJACK.
I have driven? many RIB's in the past, ranging from under 4mtr to +10 mtr in length and hp up twin 225 hp and in water that would make your hair stand on end but in those boats it is just a great ride, I wish I could afford one over here for diving on the lakes but way to much cash wanted, I could bring one over from the UK umm there's is a thought.
And very easy in and out with scuba fins boosting with you up or using the engine and transom method.

Back
Top Bottom