Using Split fins in Strong Current!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
The issue is with the kick.

With paddle fins there are TWO ways to accelerate... kick harder OR faster.

With splits there is ONE way to accelerate... kick faster.

Those who don't (or can't) make the adjustment think they are worthless.

Those who can evolve their kicking style love them.

I have never had a problem in current, though I try to avoid currents most of the time.

Good distinction - I find, though, that the continuous workout of the splits is not as economical airwise (heart rate) in current as a kick/rest approach. I've found my atomics lacking in heavy current at depth even though I tried to keep work to a minimum and be real strategic about my finning style.

I like them for surface swims, cold-water beach entries and work with students but I honestly feel you sacrifice overall control and trim, especially in heavy gear.

Good luck on kicking faster with paddles. Then, you have to shorten the kick, work up a sweat, and hope the performance is somehow equal to splits. Good luck on kicking harder, then the kick is widened and water resistance takes over. You're stuck. What distinction? Between a rock and a hard place?

James Goddard:
My opinion of split fins?

I've only used them once and that was during my equiment exchange for Divemaster. My buddy and I exchanged equiment before so that we would be switching into our regular gear rather than out of it. My buddy used split fins.

We did this in a pool with 0 current. I immedatly noticed 2 things:

1. I felt like I had no fins one (i.e. I might as well have had no fins on because I wasn't getting any "umpf" out of them.)
2. I felt like my feet were weightless.

I wound up pulling myself hand over hand to the other end of the pool to do the exchange and was never happier to get rid of a pair of fins in my life.

Disclaimer, I spent as most 2 minutes moving in split fins so they might take a little more getting used to, I was also overweighted by plan.

Probably just need more time with the splits.
I suspect the myth that splits don't work in current is a result of just what you experienced with them. A lack of apparent resistence. (DIR says stiff blades generate maximimum thrust. I think we as divers tend to believe that too. I mean how can you take a perfectly good paddle, cut the middle out and then go faster?) Aircraft builders design "artificial feel" into fly by wire controls for the pilots. "If you don't feel it, it must not be there. "

I decided to try splits when I was caught down current from the DM and float on a drift dive with an older woman (well older than me). She was unconcerned and simply finned back with her apollos while I struggled against the current before finally giving up and waiting for the rest of the team to drift to me.

This past weekend just for grins, compared my USD Blades to my Apollo splits in an olympic pool.
Consistently turned in better times with the splits with no muscle burn.

pescador775:
Good luck on kicking faster with paddles. Then, you have to shorten the kick, work up a sweat, and hope the performance is somehow equal to splits. Good luck on kicking harder, then the kick is widened and water resistance takes over. You're stuck. What distinction? Between a rock and a hard place?

I don't need to alter the distance my fins move in order to change how much force I apply.

I must admit, like the original poster, I'm curious as to the tests I've read about in articles citing superior speeds for the splits. If I ever get teh chance to try splits for a stretch, I porbably would to see how they worked out...

However, in doubles, I have seen video of a diver trying to push double aluminums in splits (Maybe Atomics?) and the fins were bending and twisting like toilet paper. They didin't appear to be working at all in that heavy load environment.

Still, I'd like to try them for open water singles diving...

I have apollo bio fins and just had an experience in Grand Cayman on a wall in current. I started to get stressed because I could not keep up with my buddy. I find those fins are best for manuvering and I just bought some Cressi pro lites for two reasons. They are 35% lighter for travel and I hope to get more speed from them.

I seem to remember a picture and movie of a diver carrying one of those huge IMAX cameras wearing splits. Believe the cameras weighed around 350 pounds.

This is just from memory and may be slightly to majorily(sp?) flawed since I suffer from dyslexia, CRS, and will be a Senior citzen within 2 months, so for whatever it is worth!

I am a split fin convert especially in more demanding dituations; the real trick to using them is learning how to use them. They are a finese piece of equipment not a 15 pound sledgehammer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom