Using Split fins in Strong Current!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my fins for controlled movement through the water...not speed and distance covered. Nothing beats a paddle fin for traction in the water and precise control.

For speed and distance I use my scooter.

Most of the time the subject comes up. And most of the time when it does you will see folks refer to speed/distance vs effort/efficiency as the criteria to judge fins by. This is because a great many divers aren't divers so much as they are swimmers! I see them zipping here and zipping there, never able to stop without crashing to the bottom or bobbing to the surface.

And the discussion about which fin is better in current overlooks the obvious: let the current work for you.

Uncle Pug is right about the objectives but not necessarily the conclusion. I have 2 paddle fins (Jets and Planar Avantis) and 1 split (Volo Power). I discovered that with the split, I get propulsion AND control. Although the negative Jets would probably work well in task diving, for overall control, power and comfort, I will find it hard to part with my splits. The only thing the split does not do well is the reverse kick. But how often do you need that in a reef.

How can you let the current work for you if it is pulling you away from the shore and there is no boat to pick you up?

Wolverine:
Uncle Pug is right about the objectives but not necessarily the conclusion. I have 2 paddle fins (Jets and Planar Avantis) and 1 split (Volo Power).

:06: I thought the Volo Power is a Mares paddle fin?

Well if you expect the current to work with you then you will have to work with it too. A little planning goes a long way.

That is not to say that the best plans can't get blown sideways. When that happens and you really need to put some rubber to the water it is nice to have some high traction fins like Jets or Turtles.

Uncle Pug:
For speed and distance I use my scooter. [A] great many divers aren't divers so much as they are swimmers! I see them zipping here and zipping there, never able to stop without crashing to the bottom or bobbing to the surface.

How do you feel about zippers without scooters who don't crash and bob?

evad:
How do you feel about zippers without scooters who don't crash and bob?
Rather than consider them a nuisance akin to flies at a BBQ I try to look at them as Irish Setters... cute but a real pain if you are the owner trying to get them back in the car.

Uncle Pug:
Rather than consider them a nuisance akin to flies at a BBQ I try to look at them as Irish Setters... cute but a real pain if you are the owner trying to get them back in the car.

ROTFLOL :D

Very Good.......................

Happy Crimble UP :wink:

Uncle Pug:

Okay. I'm back in the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom