Using a spool to shoot a bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notice I only said "lose it badly". I've had more than my share of yo-yo imitations on bag shoots, as well as any number of bags that only go up three feet, until the instructor sitting above me, where I was supposed to check before I let the bag go, is holding it :)

I find the picture of attempting to shoot a bag while scootering to be extremely funny.

I own a scooter, and so far, I'm not entranced.

Do looks count?

The bag goes up and I don't, but it will still be a long time before I look like one the the DMs in Cozumel who make shooting a bag look as easy as a fart in a bathtub.:D

Terry

It may seem easy, but a fart in the bathtub has the potential to go horribly wrong :eyebrow:

DPVs have great inertia and serve as a very stable platform for anything mid-water. !
Wow. Not only releasing SMB is not a prime procedure, but now it takes DPV to launch one to maintain stability and buoyancy. Impressing. Safest way would be firing it up off the nuclear submarine deck. Looking forward to both explanation of DPV-based SMB release (suppose You still let spool fall down, right ?), and next trick of Yours.
Take the advice, no offense : work on the buoyancy. Safer for You, safer for Your buddy.

I have been taught to be in control of my equipment. If you are not in control...you are in danger. If I cant see it I cant control it...
Letting a line hang with anchor (spool) drag through the current with the possibility of hooking up and drastically changing my depth doesn't seem to fall in there.

But, each to his own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom