Using a spool to shoot a bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you are doing drift deco away from the anchor line, you will virtually be alone, except for your buddy.
yeah, and screw the environment. Seen it, or even taken a photo - let's not allow other losers to enjoy it, right ? Wouldn't that be nicer to learn doing things better ? As to the ease of dropping things ... drop some garbage into Your neighbor garden - so much easier than sorting it out ...

yeah, and screw the environment. Seen it, or even taken a photo - let's not allow other losers to enjoy it, right ? Wouldn't that be nicer to learn doing things better ? As to the ease of dropping things ... drop some garbage into Your neighbor garden - so much easier than sorting it out ...

I believe you should give strong consideration to DCS first.

The environment can grow back.

Your woody cannot. DCS is really bad for your woody. Didn't anybody teach you that yet??:rofl3:

So if I deploy a bag/marker w/ a spool and manage the spool correctly I am going to get bent? That's news to me. It's amazing I've managed to skate by for this long w/o serious permanent injury.

I believe you should give strong consideration to DCS first.
And where did You get DCS from into that topic ? No one taught how to keep Your buyonacy when shooting a bag, right ? That's why You are probably shooting it up, and then keep it tight in panic.
The environment can grow back.
Sure it can. About 1mm a year. I hope You don't dive much.
Your woody cannot. DCS is really bad for your woody. Didn't anybody teach you that yet??:rofl3:
Stop smoking that crap, and start diving. But before, could You explain how not dropping a spool would effect in DCS ? Unless of course You keep a spool locked, allowing Yourself a lift up ... but that's not the spool's fault - just You lack of skills. Keep practicing.

It is not at ALL impossible to shoot a bag smoothly in midwater, without losing buoyancy, and without dropping the spool. It's more than possible . . . Even I have managed it. There is absolutely no reason to let go of the spool, unless you like to watch it dance; I always worry there's going to be enough current, either where I am or on the surface, to pull it away from me, so I never let it go.

It's my personal opinion that, if you can't manage your buoyancy well enough to shoot a bag and not lose it badly, you shouldn't be doing dives that require shooting a bag.

And also, TSM, you(generic) should not be using back up procedures as primary procedures either.

Here is another trick, as well: DPVs have great inertia and serve as a very stable platform for anything mid-water. I know you(specific) can afford one, so when you get your own, I am sure you will love it. I never dive without mine anymore!

I thought it had already been established that shooting a bag might well be a valid "primary procedure" on some dives.

Here is another trick, as well: DPVs have great inertia and serve as a very stable platform for anything mid-water. I know you(specific) can afford one, so when you get your own, I am sure you will love it. I never dive without mine anymore!

Please, oh please, describe how you plan to utilize a DPV to shoot a bag in mid-water. This should be interesting.

:popcorn:

It is not at ALL impossible to shoot a bag smoothly in midwater, without losing buoyancy, and without dropping the spool. It's more than possible . . . Even I have managed it. There is absolutely no reason to let go of the spool, unless you like to watch it dance; I always worry there's going to be enough current, either where I am or on the surface, to pull it away from me, so I never let it go.

It's my personal opinion that, if you can't manage your buoyancy well enough to shoot a bag and not lose it badly, you shouldn't be doing dives that require shooting a bag.

Do looks count?

The bag goes up and I don't, but it will still be a long time before I look like one the the DMs in Cozumel who make shooting a bag look as easy as a fart in a bathtub.:D

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom