Using a spool to shoot a bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a stainless steel 150 ft spool, and it is perfect, because you can use the drop method, where you connect it to your bag, and then just drop it, and let it unspool itself, before you inflate.

Sounds like this method will have 150 feet of line trailing down over the reef/wreck getting tangled up in everything unless I am missing something? Surely you dont just unclip the spool and let all the line dangle down below you, right ?

nereas, in Puget Sound, we rarely dive off anchored boats. It's all live boat pickups and free ascents. So shooting a bag IS plan A.

The charters rarely anchor cause they don't need to and at many sites they'd swing aground or drag over insanely deep water. If you're diving off a private boat in Puget Sound its anchored maybe 80% of the time. One alternative is 2-in, 2-out where you boat tend for each other. Typically anchored but able to do a live pickup. I end up shooting a bag on maybe 10% of the time cause even with a live boat if I'm ascending in 8ft of water inside the kelp line I'm not worried about getting run over.

When you are back at the surface, then you can gather the line back in like a cowboy on a horse. And when you get back home, you can re-wind it. Then there is no risk of entanglement. The spool weights the line for you.

For deco, you are supposed to remain on the anchor line (Plan A). If you are shooting a bag, that means you are now on Plan B because Plan A failed. A spool is the easiest way to deploy an upline, and dropping the spool is the very easiest way to do so.

As others have stated there are plenty of environments where this will be option A. When this is drift deco or live boating, I would not recommend dropping the spool for several reasons. First, if you are diving in any sort of current and the length of the line is greater than the depth of the water, the spool is going to be dragging on the bottom and is likely to get caught on something. If it does, you will have to cut the line and then the non-biodegradable line becomes a problem for everyone else, including the wildlife and other divers. This would also fix your position and potentially separate you from others that are doing drift deco which can lead to other issues.

As nereas stated, it's your life so you need to decide how best to handle this. My preference is to practice blowing bags while managing the spool. It is extra task loading but is a much cleaner way to deploy the bag (or marker, etc.).

I have a stainless steel 150 ft spool, and it is perfect, because you can use the drop method, where you connect it to your bag, and then just drop it, and let it unspool itself, before you inflate.
I love that method, especially over a crowded reef. Not only some corals get destroyed immediately, but what a pleasure it must be to be taking photos and receiving a hit from someone's SS spool on the free fall ;-). Also, there is a risk of getting it entangled on it's way down.
If not a spool , then a reel, so that You can just roll it all up nicely on ascent.

I love that method, especially over a crowded reef. Not only some corals get destroyed immediately, but what a pleasure it must be to be taking photos and receiving a hit from someone's SS spool on the free fall ;-). Also, there is a risk of getting it entangled on it's way down.
If not a spool , then a reel, so that You can just roll it all up nicely on ascent.

You obviously dive on way too many cattle boats!

When you are doing drift deco away from the anchor line, you will virtually be alone, except for your buddy.

:rofl3:

As nereas stated, it's your life so you need to decide how best to handle this. My preference is to practice blowing bags while managing the spool. It is extra task loading but is a much cleaner way to deploy the bag (or marker, etc.).

Spools are easy to drop, and much preferred by me, if I find myself in the situation of drift deco.

Unless you have a cheap plastic one; those are worthless, btw.

You obviously dive on way too many cattle boats!

When you are doing drift deco away from the anchor line, you will virtually be alone, except for your buddy.

:rofl3:

please dont do this if you are drift decoing when I am on the reef below you -- I really dont want a quick trip to the surface courtesy of a loop of line that catches on my gear from above.

Did your instructors really teach this method, or is it something of your own devising? Either way, it seems to be not a very "polite" way to shoot a bag.

Did your instructors really teach this method, or is it something of your own devising? Either way, it seems to be not a very "polite" way to shoot a bag.

Something he found using google.

Read his posts. He doesn't dive.

Something he found using google.

Read his posts. He doesn't dive.

Me either. I find it's much easier to simply do all my dives on the Internet these days -- none of that mucking about in the water!

i'm thinking of selling off all my gear actually. I confidently predict I can break the 200 dives per year barrier if I do them all online!

Spools are easy to drop, and much preferred by me, if I find myself in the situation of drift deco.

Unless you have a cheap plastic one; those are worthless, btw.

I would agree that they are EASY to drop. A lot of things are EASY. But if you want to be a safe diver, minimize your impact on the diving environment, and avoid placing other divers in the water in danger, then EASY just doesn't cut it. Learn how to do it correctly or don't do it at all.

I would have thought you would quit making posts like these after having your hand slapped so many times on this board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom