Using a HP 120 instead of a HP 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are talking rec not tech ... do we really need a 120. The weight? The size? Would that get us closer to a NDL?

A 120 at 3442. Now take a much smaller, weight and size wise 80 2400 LP. Does your shop fill to 3500psi? Does everybody? Say you get a 3200 fill. (which I think would be good for most LDS)
Now the 80 (which is true 80cu ft) LP at 2400 psi gets a fill around 2600 psi. Which is very normal.

Do the math the tanks were filled at room temp say 80F. Water is 72F. How much air do we really have? Get the point? The difference is much smaller in the real world. Unless we are diving deep or diving an overhead envir. With duals pumped up. I can't see the reasoning.

Bob, thanks for the comment. I understand what you're saying and the math. Being new and being an "air hog" I'd just like to be able to stay down longer, with another diver. I know , everyone tells me, that my breathing will get better with time & dives but I'd like to do something about it now. Do you think a steel 100 would be a benefit to me?

Most is a big word, and borders on an over generalization. Perhaps you meant "some" or even "a few"?

In fact, I've never, ever been on a charter that put a bottom time limit on divers. Certainly not a boat where people bring their own tanks.
Most in warm water destinations do limit BT. For example, the Keys is famous for Dive Ops limiting BT. I have been asked to come back in as little as 35 minutes on a shallow dive. Avoid Reef Raiders in Key West unless they have changed BT rules. Of course, as one gets more experience and does some research here on SB, these horrible ops can be avoided. Still, one hour is pretty common even from some of the better ops out there.

In the North East limiting BT is certainly rare.:wink:

As for 120's...good god those are huge unless you are going to be diving very deep IMHO. Boat diving in NJ then yeah, consider the 120's. I own two HP 80's and I can get two dives out of each tank at moderate depths in 60+ temps. I like to shore dive so 120's can be a hassle for me. I/m only 5' 9" also. When the water drops below 60f then my dives rarely last more than 70 minutes anyway.

It really depends on the type of diving you will be doing and your own body type. All that said, take a long hard look at HP steel over Al.

Ok first off, if a dive boat tells you to limit your bottom time. Just remind them whose doing the tipping and tell em youll be done when your out of air thanks. Has worked for me everytime so far, of course you better tip them then too!

I was actually debating on going to a Steel72. Im a fairly new rec diver and who averages long bottom times compared to most other on the boat. My former instructor, myself and my buddy are the first ones off the boat and last ones coming back so my air consumption is good but deargod I hurt after two tanks at Shaws cove because of the multiple trips up and down those stairs due to all the led im wearing plus the heavier tanks. Im 5'9" 165 lbs and lighter sounds good and Im doubting it will hurt my bottom time much at all for what I do. Any suggestions?

Dive boats do limit the down time in the Keys. I dive the Keys 4 to 5 times a year from Key Largo to Key West. I can name 5 boats that will say be back at 500psi the norm and even heard 1000psi. Then I heard minutes be back at 15 after, be back 45 after etc. For people who never heard a time given ... all I can say is wow.

Bob, thanks for the comment. I understand what you're saying and the math. Being new and being an "air hog" I'd just like to be able to stay down longer, with another diver. I know , everyone tells me, that my breathing will get better with time & dives but I'd like to do something about it now. Do you think a steel 100 would be a benefit to me?

Heck a steel 100 would benefit almost anyone but get it for the right reasons.

What has been said about improving in time is very for real. I started in 2005 and of my buddies that started that year AND who have been diving regularly dramatic improvement has been nearly universal.

Pete

Being new and being an "air hog"

Steve, the best tank for you to buy right now is : None at all. Until you have some more dives and really learn what kind of diving you're going to do it's pointless to go out and buy tanks. Just rent them until you know more about how and where you'll be doing most of your diving.

You're getting a lot of advice from experienced divers who know their own diving style and locations but that doesn't necessarily translate to you. I do almost all travel diving these days and you have to be flexible there. You might get AL80's in one place and Steel 100's in another. I have a table in my log book that outlines how much weight I need with each one. Don't get too fixated on one type of tank or another.

-Charles

Steve,

I was in the exact same boat (err situation) you were in a few months ago. The advice given about renting tanks until you know what you want and what kind of diving you will be doing is good advice.

In my situation, I knew that I was going to be doing a lot of diving here in socal, so I would rather have my own tanks. Also, the dive season tends to be longer or year-round here in southern california. I'm from New Jersey and remember it getting cold or snowing starting soon, so I don't know whether you plan on diving through the fall and winter seasons.

I used alot of air as well, but I think that you will find that your air consumption will definitely improve over time.

I had purchased a HP120 for boat dives, but I kind of regret it since the vast majority of my diving is beach diving. So, I primarily use my HP100 tanks for beach diving since they are a little lighter and less bulky than my HP120. (Oh yeah, I am 6 ft tall and 210 lbs.) In hindsight, I could have just survived not buying my HP120 since it doesn't get used all that often. Having the extra air is nice, but even now I am finding that I probably don't need to bring 100 cf of air for a particular dive. My air consumption has already improved significantly over the past few months, and I am sure that yours will too if you keep diving. I am actually even now contemplating getting smaller tanks so I don't have to lug them on the beach dives, and my wife could use them as well.

I do like my HP100 tanks though. Hope this helps. I know that you are getting many varied opinions. You just have to filter and see which comments will ring true or are applicable for you. Good luck!

the 100 cf hp tanks are sweet tanks,not too big and heavy but hold enough air to do most any rec dives,the only thing i hate about the hp tanks is the price,about 380 for a 120 and 130 and 345 for the 100s and 119s.

bought me a new faber72 today, great beach dive tank!

Back
Top Bottom