Using a compass for shore diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isaias

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This may be an ignorant question, but I have to ask about it, being a new diver and having not much practice at all with a compass, other than a small lesson for my PADI certification.

I've been wondering about shore diving on your own with regard to navigation and planning out the dive. Do you always use a compass to find your way back to shore?

I have only experience with boat dives, and only four at that. If I dive in Bonaire and want to shore dive I don't feel very confident in my experience level as far as figuring out and planning the dive on my own.

If I hire a guide to come along with me for the first several times, are these things that they will help me with to improve my skills?

Generally speaking the dive plan scenario on Bonaire is carefully make your way over the ironshore carrying your fins (or dive off the dock at your resort) make your way out to the mooring ball - most sites have them. Determine which way the current (if any) is going and swim into it - reverse at your turn point and swim/drift back. I didn't use a compass all week.

At almost every dive location the reef parallels the shore so you dive either north/south once you reach where it starts to descend - typically around 30-40' The water is really clear so you'll likely see the ball/mooring rope/chain as you get near it on your return. Some people tie something visible to it at depth at the start of their dive. At the south sites beware of fire coral on the rope/chain - no gloves allowed.

Last edited:
isaias..I've been diving Bonaire's reefs for at least 20 years and must confess that I ALWAYS take a compass reading right before descent. We normally paddle out to the drop off on the surface & then use the compass reading to get right back to our entry point underwater.

Now the question to ask, is it absolutely necessary to do this? Not really, but I will tell you from experience it sure is a lot easier. My advice is to get into the habit of using your compass on every dive. Practice makes perfect. It's amazing how easy it can be to become disoriented underwater.

The general scenario, as you drop down on the reef, pick out an object that's distinguishable from the rest of the reef. Use your imagination & then note the depth. As you then head off along the reef (against the current if any), be sure to look back at "your mark" since structures have a way of looking different on the other side. Time 20 or 30 mins depending on air consumption, turn around and then go back to the depth where you first spotted "your mark". If there is a current on the way back, obviously take that into consideration. Note..A swim against the current can take 20 mins, with it can be only 10 mins.
Then just take the compass heading all the way in. EZ PZ with practice.

I've been diving Bonaire for years and have never needed to use a compass. As a matter of fact, I don't even take a compass with me for any dives anymore. I do just what Vince said. We usually do a surface swim out to the mooring ball and then drop down, pick out a unique object that we all try and remember and it's depth, and then head off. We usually head down the wall in one direction and then return to the top of the wall on our return looking for our "mark". Once we find our mark we just turn either left or right to head back to shore. No real "need" for a compass.

The other thing is, especially along the southern sites, the road is flat and it's almost impossible to get lost or not see your truck when you surface even if you are not exactly at your entrance point. Even with the sites up north, it would be difficult to not find your way back to where you started.

I have also been diving Bonaire for a lot of years. While it's fairly easy to navigate on Bonaire I do find it useful from time to time. Depending on the site I do use the compass on occasion. For example, when diving the Hilma Hooker, I take a heading of the bouy, drop under water and navigate to the ship. I also take a heading any time I am not headed directly off shore, heading to a buoy that is not a straight out heading for example. I also use it when heading back in, I know I tend to swim to the right so I use it to keep me going straight.

I dove with my girls, (grown now), and I'd have one of them navigate on nearly every dive. It became a game to see who could get us closest to the exit point coming in (without surfacing).

Necessary? No, but good practice and good fun.

DiverVince made some very good suggestions for diving Bonaire. Although I didn't need a compass, I had mine with me. I usually go under early and swim out to where the drop off is descending gradually as the bottom slopes off. Finding an object or easily identifiable piece of the reef is very helpful in getting back to the original entry point. You must look at it from the direction you will be returning or you will likely miss the exit. Enjoy yourself. Great diving.

Since you don't really need a compass - I can't think of a better situation to practice navigation under.

I dive alot with Herman and since we descend almost immediately we do use a compass heading to a buoy - as opposed to doing a surface swim out! Neither way is right or wrong - just personal preference!

I always find a compass helpful. In Bonaire, it was great for popping under right next to the entry and navigating out to the buoy underwater. And it saved quite a bit of trouble when we were at the outer reef on the southside and not paying attention and couldn't visually tell which way was shore and which way was open ocean (with strong currents on the southside, that could have been a not-fun experience).

Thanks to all for the advice. As a beginner, it sounds like I should use a compass. But Maybe I'm over thinking all of it.

When I did my training, the compass was a part of the guages. Is this standard in Bonaire on their rental equipment?

I definitely need to learn how to use the compass again and brush up on those skills.

Just wondering if all of these skill will be refreshed with me if I hire a guide? Such as the navigation and planning the dive time and depth?

:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom