Used the 13 cu-ft pony this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would a SpareAir be enough to do a safe ascent from 75ft? or would it be "hey lets play Haul ass to the Surface without getting bent!!??"

Probably not by any conservative decision. To say would require your normal SAC rate, state of mind at the time, extenuating circumstances and size Spare Air you are using. What you call a "safe ascent" is also a wild card.

It should suffice to say that a direct ascent might be made with no stops or complications.

Pete

Would a SpareAir be enough to do a safe ascent from 75ft? or would it be "hey lets play Haul ass to the Surface without getting bent!!??"
I would think the key word in your question Phychotics would be "SAFE". I wouldn't put a SpareAir on my wife's rig and feel "safe" with her counting on that to get her out of trouble and topside. Toss in a required deco and she'd be in serious danger.

Ok..i understand..but a 13 or a 19 is PLENTY to get out of trouble?

The current was around 3 kts
How exactly did you verify this? "Hmm...it's fast today....feels like 3 knots!" If that's the case, I'm calling BS. I doubt you could get a scooter to go into a 3 knot current, much less swim into it. Most people can't kick faster than 0.5 knots for sustained periods of time.

Unless you actually measured the current, I doubt it was anywhere close to 3 knots. If you DID measure the current -- how?

Pony.jpg
Holy entanglement nightmare, Batman! :11:

Once you start diving as a team instead of everyone for himself, the latter of which is unfortuneately very common in recreational diving, you'll find that the deeper recreational dives, i.e. say 90 ft+, require more gas than 13 or 19 ft^3 to get you AND your buddy to the surface in a safe/slow/controlled manner. I am not considering solo diving here, that would be a whole separate thread. I'm sure you can do some calculations yourself?

I have heard from ppl NEVER dive solo. In my case with only 9 dives, i never would. But iw as also told by other people that it is good to dive solo if your partner would hinder you in an emergency situation. Which is true? any comments?

Once you start diving as a team instead of everyone for himself, the latter of which is unfortuneately very common in recreational diving, you'll find that the deeper recreational dives, i.e. say 90 ft+, require more gas than 13 or 19 ft^3 to get you AND your buddy to the surface in a safe/slow/controlled manner. I am not considering solo diving here, that would be a whole separate thread. I'm sure you can do some calculations yourself?

Could you explain in what situation would you AND your buddy need to breath out of one pony bottle? Are you trying to solve a simultaneous regulator malfunction for both you and your buddy or a simultaneous OOA situation for both or would it be a combination of both situations?

I am also assuming you are planning on buddy breathing out of the pony bottle. If that is the case, I hope you and your buddy practice buddy breathing.

And BTW, I believe that this thread was about solo free-diving converted into a pony assisted solo scuba bounce dive, but I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom