Optimal Pony Bottle Size for Failure at 100ft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested where I can find training to overcome millions of years of evolution and maintain respiration rate while under stress. Which agency teaches this?

... Been diving for 36 years, Sir. First duty station was Bragg where I was sent to Key West to the Army Special Forces Underwater Operations School right out of Benning . If that's a "new inexperienced diver" in your judgement, you're my hero. ...
Sorry, @sod kamus, I didn't mean to imply that I think you are a "new, inexperienced diver." I'll edit my post.

rx7diver

I'd be interested where I can find training to overcome millions of years of evolution and maintain respiration rate while under stress. Which agency teaches this?
That's a trick question. :)

Ir requires more than a simple answer.

You can be taught how to plan around bio changes and compensate for them but you can't be taught how to physically prevent them except in Hollywood. A sniper is trained how to make his 1,000 yard shot even while his heart is beating out of his chest and the vessels in his eyes are dilated due to higher blood pressure under stress. That's where most wash out at Benning. It isn't the marksmanship that fails most; anyone with average IQ can be taught to shoot accurately. Shooting is simple math, and Uncle Sugar gives you a calculator, Kestrel wind/humidity/temp ballistic meter, and the ballistic coefficients. It's the human stress factor that sends most back to their unit, not their lack of skill.

That's a trick question. :)

Ir requires more than a simple answer.

You can be taught how to plan around bio changes and compensate for them but you can't be taught how to physically prevent them except in Hollywood. A sniper is trained how to make his 1,000 yard shot even while his heart is beating out of his chest and the vessels in his eyes are dilated due to higher blood pressure under stress. That's where most wash out at Benning. It isn't the marksmanship that fails most; anyone with average IQ can be taught to shoot accurately. Shooting is simple math, and Uncle Sugar gives you a calculator, Kestrel wind/humidity/temp ballistic meter, and the ballistic coefficients. It's the human stress factor that sends most back to their unit, not their lack of skill.
That's a different topic. While I've never served in the armed forces, my guess is there is nothing more stressful than combat. So yes, I expect men and women in uniform to be able to perform tasks under that kind of pressure.

But if their adrenaline is pumping, their heart rate is racing, they're not repressing their respiration rate. I would guess they are breathing in a controlled manner (with greater gas consumption) to perform the job. But if they are underwater, they are blowing through gas faster.

Sound about right?

You do know that ALL recreational divers are by definition "no decompression" dives; meaning the diver always has direct access to the surface with no stop required, right?
Yes, and I think it is reasonable to carry a pony bottle of sufficient capacity so that it provides the user sufficient confidence to allow a safety stop for a short time, should that occasion arise.

The OP has indicated that he is too uncomfortable breathing from a 19-cu-ft pony bottle to hang out at 15 feet and sip air. If someone is that lacking in confidence in their skills, then I would suggest they take a large pony bottle, especially in this case, since additional training or practice (after thousands of reported dives) is unlikely to change their perspective/self assurance.

This has nothing to do with the theoretical nomenclature used to classify a type of dive by an agency.

Back
Top Bottom