Used Steel 72 or New AL 80 - Which would you get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmblack58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An LDS here is selling some used Steel 72s (current Hydro and VIP) for CDN$100 and new AL80s for CDN$200.

I'm ready to buy my first tanks and I was wondering which tanks people think are better for a newer diver as a first set (I'll be buying 2 tanks which might be turned into a set of double in a few years).

Please don't suggest any of the online sales as the exchange rate, the cost of moving tanks across the border and getting them VIPed and ready for service seems to negate most of the savings.

David

PS - I dive locally with a drysuit and a BP/W-32lbs.

dmblack58:
An LDS here is selling some used Steel 72s (current Hydro and VIP) for CDN$100 and new AL80s for CDN$200.

I'm ready to buy my first tanks and I was wondering which tanks people think are better for a newer diver as a first set (I'll be buying 2 tanks which might be turned into a set of double in a few years).

Please don't suggest any of the online sales as the exchange rate, the cost of moving tanks across the border and getting them VIPed and ready for service seems to negate most of the savings.

David

PS - I dive locally with a drysuit and a BP/W-32lbs.

Kind of a toss up. A nice pair of Steel 72's makes a great first set of doubles, but so does a pair of AL80's The buoyancy of both is fairly close, with a slight advantage to the 72's

The 80's (luxfer prefered) have chance of a future career as stages, the 72's won't. On the other hand if you progress to where you need an 80 for a stage you will likely own a bunch of tanks

No clear choice, better get both:D

Tobin

Get the steel cylinders, assuming they were well cared for. First, that's a lot less weight you'll have to be carrying. Also, they're almost the exact same capacity (AL80 is really a 77 cuft cylinder), but the steels are MUCH smaller. What kind of diving will you be doing? I think steel 80s are GREAT shore diving cylinders (72s are pretty good, too), but just not enough air for the deeper stuff (boat dives around here). And the steels are half the price!

Thanks for the input. I do shore and boat diving in the Great Lakes (my deepest so far is 104ft but I will be doing a deep course within the next 12 months).

You may not save much weight, depending on what the steel 72 is. Some of the older ones swing positive at the end of the dive, just like Al 80s. And the older ones have lost their plus rating, so you're actually carrying 66 cubic ft of gas, whereas a new Al 80 will give you the 80 cubic ft for the first few years.

Neither would be my choice for either diving dry suit and cold, or a newer diver (who is likely to have a higher gas consumption rate).

They are both fairly resellable, however.

If they were galvanized and were "+" rated at the last hydro I would grab them. Otherwise I'd think about it.

Kind of depends on what kind of fills you get where you are - some shops routinely blow 2400-2500 psi into any 72, "+" or not, others get picky and may even underfill them which leaves you with just not enough air for most cold water dives. Sure make nice beginner doubles though!

I would get the 72s. They are smaller and lighter yet hold just as much cf as the aluminum. They are easier to carry for shore diving, I like them in our boat as well because they are easier to lift. I think nothing of running them at 2500 or even 2600 psi. We used to pump them up for cave fills more than that. At 2500 psi (a plus fill for a steel 72) you are at 72 cf. Most aluminum 80s are rarely filled over 3,000 which puts them at 77cf. Considering the smaller and more compact size and reduced weight and longevity, get the steel 72s. They also make great medium size doubles.

That said, I am a fan of the common aluminum 80, they work just fine for warm water diving, hold enough air for a good dive down to 80 feet and are cheap as dirt. If the techies get snobby over my aluminum 80s I don't care, most times they are diving in 60feet with enough air for ten divers just because doubles look SEAL. Function beats out style every time with me. N

AL80s really suck with a drysuit. For me carrying huge weight belt so I can basically have the least amount of gas possible is not worth it.

72s are too small for anything below ~60ft in cold water with high SAC rates. But you should get some experience shallower for awhile and then consdier the deeper dives anyway.

Go with the 72s and use the leftover money for part of a nitrox class or some other useful learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom