Use your CO analyzers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie, you apparently ignore the multiple assertions that undetected CO in Cozumel scuba tanks is the cause of subclinical hits and the drownings of missing divers. Questioning unsubstantiated allegations is not "anti-rhetoric" or "trolling."

Last edited:
I don't understand the trolling. A CO analyzer is a good idea, just like having your own O2 analyzer. Many folks who are nitrox certified don't have their own O2 analyzer, and rely on the boat to provide one. Good enough. In my case, we have CO analyzers installed to test the membrane output, the air compressor, as well as the nitrox compressor. It usually reads about 0.03 or so, but I've seen it spike to 1 or 2 when I first fire up the system. No real reason, it settles back down before I fill tanks, but why the hatred?
No one answered my question yet. At least Ron Lee educated you on what "trolling" is and it's not asking hard legitimate questions, nor is it questioning questionable assertions.

I've seen lots of posts where someone analyzes a tank only to find it contains a small amount of CO, say 5-7 ppm. Now 5-7 ppm is within safe limits, but these divers refuse to the dive the tanks. Since the boat may already be out at the southern reefs, I'm guessing this means they sit out the dive that they've contracted to pay for. So who eats the cost? You as a dive boat owner, I imagine, would be hard-pressed to want to refund the money in full since that means money out of your pocket, especially if the air tested at safe levels but the diver was individually over-paranoid.

Would it be your policy as a Cozumel dive boat owner, who likely doesn't even pump his or her own air, but purchases the fills from a third-party over which he or she has no control, to refund the money in full, or would you keep the money and tell the diver you're sorry, not my problem? I can imagine the fear of Cozumel dive ops faced with ensuing legions of Dandy Dons who might lose enough revenue to go under if they offered refunds. What should they do? Toss in the towel? I say it's far easier and makes much better business sense to ban CO analyzers.

Wookie, you apparently ignore the multiple assertions that undetected CO in Cozumel scuba tanks is the cause of subclinical hits and the drownings of missing divers. Calling Don or anyone else on unsubstantiated allegations is not "anti-rhetoric" or "trolling."
That's one way to twist my words. :silly: What I said may well have been reworded better by a more effective wordsmith, but it still holds...
No one knows how much CO got into Coz tanks overall before Analox produced their affordable & portable analyzers as other testing options were not popular, so they got away with it - with subclinical hits being dismissed as hangovers and typical travelers illnesses and severe hits being diagnosed as drownings. Times have changed, and while some still ridicule those of us who are forcing the improvements, the situation is improving.
And for that I was accused of having a financial interest in Analox. :shakehead: The key point no one knows how significant it was before testing, and comprehensive testing is still not taking place, but we are making progress in spite of naysayers.

You can read it all however you chose, and I am sure you will chose. If you want to claim that there are no problems to challenge, go for it. If you want to dive untested tanks, that's your call. If you want to make fun of me for testing mine, I don't care - just whatever. Hey, I regularly supply other reasons to ridicule my choices, so have fun. Your approach is incongruent with your sig, but whatever. Blah, blah, blah...

No one answered my question yet. At least Ron Lee educated you on what "trolling" is and it's not asking hard legitimate questions, nor is it questioning questionable assertions.

I've seen lots of posts where someone analyzes a tank only to find it contains a small amount of CO, say 5-7 ppm. Now 5-7 ppm is within safe limits, but these divers refuse to the dive the tanks. Since the boat may already be out at the southern reefs, I'm guessing this means they sit out the dive that they've contracted to pay for. So who eats the cost? You as a dive boat owner, I imagine, would be hard-pressed to want to refund the money in full since that means money out of your pocket, especially if the air tested at safe levels but the diver was individually over-paranoid.

Would it be your policy as a Cozumel dive boat owner, who likely doesn't even pump his or her own air, but purchases the fills from a third-party over which he or she has no control, to refund the money in full, or would you keep the money and tell the diver you're sorry, not my problem? I can imagine the fear of Cozumel dive ops faced with ensuing legions of Dandy Dons who might lose enough revenue to go under if they offered refunds. What should they do? Toss in the towel? I say it's far easier and makes much better business sense to ban CO analyzers.
I doubt that you really want clear answers and are just looking for more opportunities to derail the discussion, but I'll give you my answers anyway: I test my tanks right after pickup, still in town - not after arriving at the southern reefs. Whether or not "5-7 ppm is within safe limits" is true is a personal call. It may pass US regulations ok, Mexico has none, several countries have set 3 ppm limits, but no one should have to deal with such challenges and whatever else the faulty compressors may be allowing in tanks that we cannot test for, along with toxic CO.

Whether a Coz OP chooses to refund, apologize, and take actions with the air supplier that the diver lacks access, or refuse - will often be described here on these pages. If you can convince any to ban CO testing, that would make interesting posting as well.

derail2.jpg

snip..... or they've got dead divers secretly buried around the island in order to cover up the obvious epidemic. I vote for the latter, they probably hide the bodies in the cenotes.

The sky is falling Dandy Don, make sure you're not under it!

Seriously, DD, when you start packing your own parachute on the flight over, then I'll start analyzing my tanks for CO.

Confirmed according to DandyDon who heard a rumor, unconfirmed according to Dave Dillehay who actually lives and works on the island and is such a stand-up guy that he offered me free dives to make up for my less-than-stellar dives over 10 years ago. I know which DD I'll trust.

Why attribute CO poisoning to two lost divers who can't defend themselves? Why not blame aliens? And since it's now confirmed that alien abductions are responsible for twice as many diver deaths as CO poisoning, it's doubly important that all divers put their tinfoil hats on to thwart the alien abduction rays. At least when in Cozumel. Alien abductions have yet to be linked to diver disappearances in Roatan, but DAN is working on it.

"Knowledgeable discussions on SB" says it all. No, I do not trust my life to Scubaboard discussions. I do not necessarily believe everything posted on the internet. But it's good you do. By the way, I have a deal on an excellent bridge in Brooklyn if you're so inclined. For you, really cheap. Send me a check and I'll mail you the deed. Simple as that. It's got to be true because I said it was and look, it's on Scubaboard.

By which I take it that you're fully trusting in a rumor you heard on the internet. Good for you. That bridge offer is still valid, but only for 90 more days. Talk it over on Scubaboard, I'm sure you'll get the right advice.

Just say you wish me dead, that's a lot easier. No one wants to read double-talk mumbo jumbo. I talk straight, I deserve a straight response.

Ah, yes, you are fully in line with my theory that CO poisoning wasn't invented until 2011.

Sure, prior to 2011, the science was very bad. Unexplained DCS incidences were just filed away as unexplained. Now we have CO to blame, which unfortunately wasn't discovered until 2011, when the science became so accurate that we now know that 10% of divers should be dead because they dove on tanks that, before CO analysis was discovered, obviously had levels high enough to kill them.

Obviously anyone who is not a cheerleader must be a troll in your book. Those who point out that rumors aren't truth, that statistics should outweigh anecdotal "evidence", that fear mongering maybe isn't warranted for every infinitesimal risk under the sun, yep, all trolls in your book.

You know what, just for you, I'll sell you two bridges. Seriously, two for the price of one.

Have you heard the latest about rat turds being found in Cozumel tanks. Seems supposedly, according to a rumor I heard from someone who knew someone, that someone actually died from inhaling rat turds during a dive at Palancar Bricks at exactly 76 FSW, exactly 36 minutes into her dive (I tell you these facts so you know it must be true). Therefore, I have developed a rat turd detector which I can sell to you at the low low price of only $499 plus shipping and handling. You stick the detector in front of the tank valve, crank the air on full, and only 40 minutes later it will indicate whether or not there are rat turds in the tank. How can you possibly pass on that deal? In fact, I will sell you both a travel unit and a home unit for only $799 for the two of them. Get in on this deal quick before HSN buys out my stock and doubles the price! Hey, there's even a built in cigarette lighter for those not opposed to a little CO inhalation before and after the dives.

No way. Everyone knows that rat turds are odorless and tasteless. If you don't believe me, just try one.

We actually use an actual rat for calibration. Either you bring your own in a pet carrier on the plane, or you can rent them on the island.

Huh? CO poisoning didn't exist in Coz until 2011. That's because CO was only invented relatively recently and NAFTA prevented its exportation from the U.S.

But you're just a voice on the internet. How do I know that you really had CO poisoning? How do I know it was no fun?

Carrying a knife in the Cozumel Marine Park is a violation of the rules.

If they were smart, they'd ban CO analyzers too.

Gee, now you're advising me to huff CO? I'm not sure I trust your advice. Maybe you are just an internet voice.

Which means I can now drink the water with impunity, drink tequila with impunity, because as long as I analyze my tank and make sure it's free of CO, I won't get hungover or get the runs. Awesome! That's totally worth the exhorbitant price of a CO analyzer!

And and all. Doesn't matter if they were eaten by a shark before drowning, definitely CO caused it. Heart attack by a cruise ship passenger? CO. Scooter accident? Definitely CO. Anything in the least bit unexplained, CO. Oh, by the way, Opal didn't die from being bent, it was CO in her tank!

You know what, I think it's better if Analox packed up their fancy gear and butted out. I'd prefer to think my hangovers were due to my normal alcohol consumption and my traveler's illnesses due to eating medium-rare cheeseburgers. Damn Analox, they've screwed up my vacation!

Wookie, you apparently ignore the multiple assertions that undetected CO in Cozumel scuba tanks is the cause of subclinical hits and the drownings of missing divers. Calling Don or anyone else on unsubstantiated allegations is not "anti-rhetoric" or "trolling."

No one answered my question yet. At least Ron Lee educated you on what "trolling" is and it's not asking hard legitimate questions, nor is it questioning questionable assertions.Snip... I say it's far easier and makes much better business sense to ban CO analyzers.

Ron Lee, please explain trolling to me again? I'm so confused......

Oh, I get it. It's sar-chasm. That's the gulf created when one idiot doesn't understand what another idiot is saying.

People were diving for many years before CO analyzers. Lots of people. Implying that one must analyze their tanks before diving or one will die is simply wrong.

I guess I have to say it in so many ways so all the idiots can understand. You may call it sarcasm if you don't understand. I call it clever analogizing. Since the number of proven CO deaths in Cozumel is exactly the number of proven alien abductions, I brought up aliens. But you're obviously easily confused. Maybe I should draw you a picture instead.

DD finally answered my question. Good for him, he gets picked up in town and the dive op can simply swing by Meridiano and pick up more tanks until he finds one that's acceptable to him and his trust analyzer.

But hardly all divers get picked up right in town and have the option of checking their tanks while still on dry land. So what happens when someone is picked up in the south? Even for those who can still swap out the tanks in town, who is responsible for the delay caused by the swap and reanalysis? Some dive ops need their boats for afternoon divers. Some divers have to be back on a cruise ship.

If, in some perfect diving world, analysis had zero costs, I say go for it. But when there is a cost, no matter how slight, a cost/benefit analysis can be made to see if it's worth it. Given that there are no proven fatalities from CO in Cozumel, the cost of the analyzer doesn't seem worth it to me. Given that there are no proven fatalities from CO in Cozumel, having to tolerate analyzing divers who cause delay and cost the dive op lots of money if they choose to eat the cost of the skipped dives, it doesn't seem worth it to them either.

Dive Ops can do whatever they have to so that they can deliver clean tanks. Test them before they go on the boat, replace as needed, and take action with the supplier. Not the customer's problem.

Unfortunately, not enough was being done by the Ops and suppliers to prevent problems, but with more customers testing and standing by convictions, it should get better.

Moss & Ron can dive on faith, fine. Some CO analyzer owners will offer to test all the tanks on the boat, but I don't unless asked. Too many people out to cause grief even over safer dive practices.

Sure, no problem. After all, there are so many gas suppliers on Cozumel that the dive ops can just tell one to take a hike and move on to the next one, right? And if the DM has to spend an extra half-hour to hour or more each day getting the tanks just right, who cares about the DM? After all, they're all over paid and it's not like any of them care about getting up an hour earlier to deal with CO because the damn roosters probably already woke them up early, right?

All this hassle is worth it because of all the known deaths from CO poisoning in Cozumel, right? OK, now I understand.

Sure, no problem. After all, there are so many gas suppliers on Cozumel that the dive ops can just tell one to take a hike and move on to the next one, right? And if the DM has to spend an extra half-hour to hour or more each day getting the tanks just right, who cares about the DM? After all, they're all over paid and it's not like any of them care about getting up an hour earlier to deal with CO because the damn roosters probably already woke them up early, right?

All this hassle is worth it because of all the known deaths from CO poisoning in Cozumel, right? OK, now I understand.
Whatever it takes to deliver clean air is what they have to do. If the DMs have to test every tank, it takes 30 seconds per tank - I wish they would, and could if the Ops supplied the analyzers, which are quite cheap spread over hundreds of tanks. From your post, it is evident that you don't care. Why do you object to those of us who do care?

The biggest station, Meridiano, can produce clean air and has Anaolox monitors. If not one complains, nothing changes, but they can do better than they did for tanks supplied in this case.

And that would be because of lack of testing or regulations. When CO hits were suspected, no one had a CO tester. That's changing.

No testing means no control.
Once again, the fact that CO hits could not be detected does not constitute proof that they existed.

Once again, the fact that CO hits could not be detected does not constitute proof that they existed.
True, the analyzers have to be on hand and used. It's uphill all the way, but obtainable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom