US travelers banned from FSM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marshall Islands has just imposed roughly the same restrictions, however there is mention of states, so if your state is coronavirus free you may be allowed in.

Can you provide a source? I'm not able to find any new restrictions beyond PRC, Macau, and Hong Kong.

Can you provide a source? I'm not able to find any new restrictions beyond PRC, Macau, and Hong Kong.

Not sure about the OP, but there's a story about it in our local paper here:
Marianas Variety - Marshall Islands bans government travel

It's a bit unclear, as it specifically says the wider ban is on government travel, but then later says "The proclamation doesn’t ban travel by people outside of government but urges local residents to postpone international travel. Those continuing with international travel 'could be restricted from re-entering RMI if a state or country visited or transited through are added to the restrict list on the Ministry of Health’s travel advisory,' the new proclamation warned."

It's also not clear about other people coming in, as it seems to only discuss residents traveling abroad and returning, not tourists coming in.

Maybe the OP has a better link?

This may be devastating

It's already begun in the CNMI (another story here). Projected government revenue down $48 million (almost a quarter). The government is cutting working hours by 8 hours a week (yay, three day weekends every week!), which will have a massive impact across the economy (less money being spent as government workers tighten their belts). I have friends in the tourist industry that are already being laid off, because there just aren't as many customers. It's not just the travel ban, it's the fact that people in other areas (for us, South Korea and Japan) are wary of traveling and are cancelling or postponing their trips until this dies down.

Now back to the regular thread topic: travel to the FSM (which includes Chuuk/Truk, if any of you are planning trips out there soon).

The new (Friday Feb. 7) proclamation from the Marshall Islands IS ambiguous, but essentially it says the gov't can amend the "no travellers from" list at any time, and you can bet if they are barring returning citizens they will certainly bar travellers from other countries.

I just cancelled my trip to Palau and Pohnpei and Chuuk scheduled for late Feb over the weekend.
United allowed me to cancel the flight without penalty. Turkish airlines charged me a cancellation fee for 2 regional award tickets.
Both Sam's Tours in Palau and Mangrove Bay hotel in PNI are slow in confirming refunds...:rolleyes:

I just cancelled my trip to Palau and Pohnpei and Chuuk scheduled for late Feb over the weekend.
United allowed me to cancel the flight without penalty. Turkish airlines charged me a cancellation fee for 2 regional award tickets.
Both Sam's Tours in Palau and Mangrove Bay hotel in PNI are slow in confirming refunds...:rolleyes:

Accdg to a post by Manta Ray Bay Hotel they've lifted the ban although I did not see the source

Accdg to a post by Manta Ray Bay Hotel they've lifted the ban although I did not see the source

Looks like Congress adopted a resolution at their session yesterday amending the original emergency declaration. Article 6 is seems to be that Manta Ray Bay Resort is referring to:

"6. Initially the travel restrictions and quarantine requirements imposed on countries other than China, including those in paragraph (4) of the Declaration, are hereby lifted upon adoption of this Resolution; PROVIDED HOWEVER, that the President may reimpose such restrictions and requirements as necessary and at any time thereafter based on new information; and"

However, as @bakodiver391 said above, there's nothing preventing them from reimposing travel restrictions at any time.

guess that’s always true

Yeah, it's #5 of the resolution:

"5. The President is further authorized, subsequent to the adoption of this Resolution, to amend the terms of the travel ban instituted by the Declaration, including to reinstate, add or remove countries or areas affected by the travel ban, or any quarantine requirements, in order to respond effectively and efficiently to the evolving situation taking into account the burdens and costs associated with said quarantine requirements; and"

Makes it really hard to do any long-term vacation planning...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom