Us Divers Mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of US Divers' stuff is kind of cheap, but other stuff, like the Atlantis mask, is of decent quality. Personally, my current, favorite mask (other than my old, classic oval masks I use for vintage style diving) is the Vue mask from Deep Blue Gear. It's sold through the Snorkel Mart, it's inexpensive and very comfortable. I have both the purge and non-purge versions. Great visibility.

Snorkel-Mart | Snorkel Gear | Snorkeling Equipment | Snorkeling Combos |

Yes, some masks (like the TUSA Panthes) are designed for freediving/snorkeling and others are designed for SCUBA, but they are interchangeable. If you find something that works, dive it!

I have those exact split fins and dive with them all the time and they're fantastic, he's definitely just trying to pry some more money from you in that respect. Also, like everyone else says, if the mask is tempered glass and fits you then it's fine.

I wasn't able to find a picture of a Hawaii 3, but I found a Hawaii 4 and Hawaii 1. Both clearly say "tempered." Descriptions of the Hawaii 3 say it is tempered as well. All have a nose pocket. All are being marketed towards divers.

BuiltLikeABulldog:
he just said that US Divers doesn't use good polyurethane so they can't handle deep water pressure.
...he really said that? Definitely time to find a new shop/instructor/whatever. Your OW manual will discuss in detail the need to equalize your air spaces, including the mask. What this means is that during the course of a dive, the surrounding water pressure will be equal to, if not only slightly higher, than the air pressure inside your mask. So, "deep water pressure" is really nonexistent. If your instructor/shop actually said that, then he either doesn't understand a very basic diving concept, or he is trying to pry more money out of you. Either way, don't walk, run to a more honest competitor.

As others said...if the mask fits, functions, doesn't leak, and is safe...use it.

I wasn't able to find a picture of a Hawaii 3, but I found a Hawaii 4 and Hawaii 1. Both clearly say "tempered." Descriptions of the Hawaii 3 say it is tempered as well. All have a nose pocket. All are being marketed towards divers.

...he really said that? Definitely time to find a new shop/instructor/whatever. Your OW manual will discuss in detail the need to equalize your air spaces, including the mask. What this means is that during the course of a dive, the surrounding water pressure will be equal to, if not only slightly higher, than the air pressure inside your mask. So, "deep water pressure" is really nonexistent. If your instructor/shop actually said that, then he either doesn't understand a very basic diving concept, or he is trying to pry more money out of you. Either way, don't walk, run to a more honest competitor.

As others said...if the mask fits, functions, doesn't leak, and is safe...use it.

Exactly....this guy is either a really bad instructor or trying to take you for cash. In either case, you need to find a better shop. While that mask may not be a top of the line mask and/or it may be prone to leaking due to stiffer skirts the "can't take the pressure" stuff is pure BS.

Exactly....this guy is either a really bad instructor or trying to take you for cash. In either case, you need to find a better shop. While that mask may not be a top of the line mask and/or it may be prone to leaking due to stiffer skirts the "can't take the pressure" stuff is pure BS.

Great, thank you very much guys! I didn't want to come in here and whine about it lol. I spent over an hour trying to research it and couldn't come up with anything so I figured I'd ask the pros to get my answer! I do appreciate all the responses and help towards a noobie! Thanks a lot!

The main thing (other than tempered glass) to consider about selecting a mask is does it leak? My first mask was not cheap by any means but leaked. Oh I did the dry fit drill and it stayed on my face. BUT the true test is in the water. A good dive shop will let you try it first.

When I started I didnt understand the whole" buy at the LDS" you cert with and came in with my own mask,fins,bc, but the shop was pretty nice about it. I liked the instructor & ended up getting a few regs, lead, wet suit,tank etc. as time went on.So dont be too harsh, I've even seen where the owners have "quirky attitude" but employees are great. (By the way I've heard the Atomics smoke the Twin jets, & $90 for that stuff was a steal.)

curious... what shop is it? i'm from the area just wondering if it's anyone i've heard of. and if you need any reccomendations on where to go in the area send me a PM I know a few good shops and instructors in the area

curious... what shop is it? i'm from the area just wondering if it's anyone i've heard of. and if you need any reccomendations on where to go in the area send me a PM I know a few good shops and instructors in the area

nah I'd rather not mention the shop, It's up here in Fort Pierce / Port saint lucie; so being in FT Lauderdale I doubt you come up here often for dive gear :wink: lol. My main shop is the one my girlfriend does website work for and used to work at Diver's Cove down there. She's friends with everybody so I trust them. But these guys are 5 minutes from my house vs 2 hours :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom