Us Divers Mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuiltLikeABulldog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I brought my gear into the dive shop that I'm getting my OW Cert through so they can look at my gear.

I have an Atomic Split fin fins and US Divers Hawaii 3 mask and dry snorkel. I was told the Atomics were okay.. not as good as the Twin jet Max fins, but he said they will do for now. And he said my Mask was a snorkel mask?? And It can't be used during the certification dives.... is this accurate?? o_O

My choice in gear is right for me. That doesn't mean it would be right for you. You need what works for you.
If you haven't done a course yet, I would suggest not buying anything more until you have completed the course. Borrow or rent.

With regard the Atomic Split fins, they are not right for me, but I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw you get on the boat with them.

With regard the mask, I am not familiar with it, but did a google and looked at the images. Again, its not the mask for me, but I would not think twice about diving it. In a mask, you are looking for tempered glass. It must cover your eyes and have a socket for your nose that allows you to also squeeze your nose though the plastic / rubber. The strap needs to be adjustable. Mostly, it needs to fit snugly (without being too tight) on your face.

Without having held a US Divers Hawaii 3 mask, my sense is that you want to try another dive shop in the area and see their reaction. The profit margins on dive courses can be very low, particularly if the classes aren't full. Dive shops therefore may depend on sales of gear to generate income.

His shop, his course, his rules. Find another shop to do business with. This one is not to be trusted.

Atomic split fins generally get high ratings in fin reviews.

As far as I know all US Divers / Aqualung masks are made with tempered glass. Look on the glass to confirm that it says tempered (usually in small, unobtrusive letters). Otherwise if the mask fits you well, use it.

“Snorkel mask” seems to be a silly term, invented by someone trying to sell anything different from what you own.

To me, the statement that the US Divers mask can't be used during certification is a huge red flag. I wonder whether he's dishonest or grossly misinformed. Can't think of too many other options.

No doubt he's willing to sell you other fins and masks.

I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about that shop. While I don't like split fins, I really question how they are not as good at Twin Jets....regular Jets I would agree but splits are splits and in any case are fine for OW class. As for the mask, USD mask are the low end that Aqualung markets, usually sold in big box stores as snorkle gear but bottom line is if it fits and does not leak (all mask leak a little) then there is no good reason you can't use it. IMO this sounds more like profit making BS than good advice.....makes me wonder about the quality of their training.

Probably meant to say that the skirt is made out of PVC and not silicone......my experience is the PVC is not very flexible and tend to leak.
If this is the case I would also recommend a better mask.

If I nee da better mask I'm not too worried... The fins, Mask and snorkle all together cost me $90 so I'm out a ton. But Just got a little suspicious when I see "US Divers" gear on scuba divers in magazines all the time, and yet it's not good enough for me to get my OW Cert with? lol... My girlfriend is the diver, and she's on a NOAA ship ATM so she can't help me lol So I had to turn to you fine people :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom