• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

US China Trade War: Impact on Scuba industry

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by CAPTAIN SINBAD, Jun 11, 2019.

1. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    CS...

When the shelves in the LDS are empty...or we start seeing price increases over the standard 130%/150% markup we can start to get concerned...and I don't believe for a minute either are going to happen any-time soon...scuba gear doesn't begin to account for one grain of sand in the whole of the Sahara desert...

The problem does not lie so much with the guy sitting in the big chair in Beijing...as it does with the two guys sitting in the big chairs in Ottawa and Washington...

We're currently holding the telephone princess in a mansion...on house arrest...on the tax-payers dime... at the bequest of Washington...we have Canadians being held in China on trumped up charges because of it...

As of yesterday the the topic in vogue is now who is going to sell lobsters to China...and who isn't...and it looks like Canada is in...and the US is out...tomorrow it will be something else...don't hold your breath waiting for scuba gear to become a topic of tariff discussion...

There's a hell of a lot more at stake than masks...fins and snorkels...

W...

Eric Sedletzky likes this.
  2. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

They’ll have to change the sign in front of the Dollar Store to the Two Dollar Store.
    That’s only if prices double.
    Yeah, that will break the bank!

couv and W W Meixner like this.
  3. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

The shelves in the LDS’s are already
    almost empty, and that was before the tariffs. Over 100% markup at retail locations doesn’t work anymore with the invention of the internet.

couv and W W Meixner like this.
  4. W W Meixner

ES...

I get my reg bags from the Dollar Store...some might refer to them as zippered nylon lunch bags...

four dollars...as opposed to forty dollars because there is no ScubaPro brand inked on them...all the colours too...even black...

I may have to start paying six dollars...God forbid I should have to start paying eight...

Best...

W...

5. W W Meixner

Yes...

And that started long before Mr. Trump...and Mr. Trudeau...

God does work in mysterious ways...

Best...

W.

6. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    ...... :-( I remember when they were called the Five and Dime. (That's five cents, not dollars.)

7. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

More than just China to watch on the tariffs, too. Aqualung BCDs are made in Mexico, and I suspect a few other US companies may utilize the same factory for some of their BCDs. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has specific knowledge on that one.

But new Mexico tariffs seem to be averted... for now...

8. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I am finding this thread.. interesting because of so many interesting assumptions and declarations.

Lots of dive gear is still made in China, less than last year and FAR less than 5 years ago.

Wages in China went up, environmental protections started to kick in and factories started to move or close. This also happened in Europe 10-15 years ago. Made worse by the shrinking gear sales of the worldwide industry which is only slightly slowed by expansion in Asia at retail that has started to cool last 3 years.

Most dive equipment from China is actually duty free to the US, BUT..they are part of the new 300-350 billion in tariffs that President Trump has threatened but has not been implemented yet. If so, that WILL leave a mark for some in the industry but for me.. not much because I actually don't have hardly anything made in China, and have alternative sources elsewhere.

couv likes this.
  9. cerich

I am finding this thread.. interesting because of so many interesting assumptions and declarations.

Lots of dive gear is still made in China, less than last year and FAR less than 5 years ago.

Wages in China went up, environmental protections started to kick in and factories started to move or close. This also happened in Europe 10-15 years ago. Made worse by the shrinking gear sales of the worldwide industry which is only slightly slowed by expansion in Asia at retail that has started to cool last 3 years.

Most dive equipment from China is actually duty free to the US, which is part of the new 300-350 billion in tariffs that Pres
    ummm.. we have lots but not all made in Taiwan (free china) but we are originated in the states. I can also name lots of other brand gear made in Taiwan, and much less in China.. other than BCD's that come out of HIL for many large brands(but less since one big brand bought a BCD factory in Vietnam)

10. cerich

yup, even circuit boards for the F-35 are made in China.. even if they are actually not per say an issue, should any country be not able to make parts for their own fighter aircraft?