Update on killed poodle DIY backplate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Time to dive it again soon...
I like the black webbing better than the white. Are you going to put the D-ring back on the crotch strap?. Only reason I ask is because anytime I'm waiting longer than 2-3 mins for a pickup, I clip off my SMB at that spot so I don't have to hold it up and lifts me out of the water another 6 inches when it's choppy. I've had problems with those plastic clips sliding, so I use metal 'keepers' now.

All in all,,,Killed Poodle BC ,, looks really cool !!

It had two pieces, the plastic plate and a curved tank stabilizer, also of plastic, that screwed on with stainless screws. What I did was spread the two pieces apart by using longer hardware, and I was able to sandwich two two pound weights in there. I used longer screws on the bottom to angle the tank a bit, and I added bolts for strength.

So it’s only 4 lbs. Pretty specific to that particular plastic backplate, and pretty red neck. I’m sure your stainless plate is much nicer!

I bought the SS backplate mainly because it takes up less room than my plastic backpack plus a layer of 2 lb weights. Naturally, while working on how to take up less room in my luggage I found an alternative solution which makes all my work irrelevant. What you did also reduced the thickness, which is why I was asking. On my particular backpack a lot of cutting would be required. Actually, I have several and none willingly volunteered to open up and accept lead weights. Sometime in the near future I'll probably make a mold and melt down the four, 2 lb weights and make one large, flat weight that screws onto the plastic backpack. The amazing part of the story is that nobody said anything when I took it through security at the airport! The first time I ever flew I had brought my weights with me to save on renting because I was doing a lot of shore diving and they had me in the little booth with my arms up, going over me with a fine-tooth metal detector, and giving me the third degree. I didn't know that was not normal. More recently, I carefully read the regulations on Alaska Airlines and determined that my weight belt had to be in my checked bag (I even called them). Well, it was in my carry-on and I still made it!

When it comes right down to it in some ways I prefer the weighted, plastic backpack to the SS backplate but I have not gone diving with it yet (the SS, that is).

Redneck can be good! My wheel alignment done with a 2 X 4 is the best alignment I've ever had!

Back
Top Bottom