Update on killed poodle DIY backplate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be sewn out of that fine polyester window screen.

A soft weight backpad that was quilted or honeycombed or had vertical tubes holding the shot, and made of mesh so it would not hold air, would keep the lead from all collecting at the bottom.

I'm using four weights that I cast myself so they are very flat--two weigh 1.3 lbs each and the other two are 1.5 lbs each giving me a total of 5.6 lbs. I'm working on it now because my checked bag is over-weight due to the weight belt so I'm putting some on my backpack which goes in my carry-on. Any way I figure it I'll be buying a 3 lb weight when I get to Hawai'i :wink: No doubt I'll be standing inside the little booth at the airport with my hands in the air. We are flying Alaska and they said put all the weights in the checked bag. Well, if they are part of my back wing.....

Anyways, the weights are arranged in a square so it's all very neat and flat and I'm going to try it out in the pool..... right now! Cya!

Last edited:
2FE9D680-EDA9-4D0D-8DDD-62C4144BD871.jpeg
21A49D5A-691D-418C-933F-A45636932BDF.jpeg
Well the ex-poodle plate did very well at Ginny Springs! It received very gratifying praise when @The Chairman said I “looked good in the water” in the Ballroom when I was practicing my new jet fin back kick :) He also helped me with some streamlining of tool carry, thanks Pete!

The rig earned an upgrade to stainless welded hip D rings, and stainless for the back and front of the crotch strap from Cave Country Dive Shop (kudos to them for having all that stuff on hand!) @JamesBon92007 you were right that rear post was inaccessible once I got a tank on.

With two two pound weights stuffed into the space I created in back it is as heavy as a stainless backplate, so I was able to dive an AL80 in 7mil with eight pounds in the Deep 6 trim pockets I used on the belt, but in salt I’d need a steel tank or more weight than those pockets hold, or a thinner wetsuit. I can always clip ankle weights on the belt behind the hip D rings, they are ditchable and take up less waist real estate than bigger weight pockets.

Because of the tank offset I no longer hit my head on the valve, something that has always bugged me. My custom 1 1/2” narrow shoulder straps fit better than 2” in a delicate area where I have a former injury. DIY rocks, if you are thinking of making your own harness go for it! It was a real learning experience and I really know where everything is because I put it there. I may replace my cotton shoulder straps with something that dries faster, but all in all it’s pretty good.

Attachments

• 85D6199E-546D-4E03-8FA1-EC49E99186D9.jpeg
    85D6199E-546D-4E03-8FA1-EC49E99186D9.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I was impressed with the skill put into this FrankenBC and even more impressed with how trim Meg was in the water. Purdy back kicks set it off. We scooted around the ballroom for at least twenty minutes, me playing Golem and watching OW divers stand, kneel and lie on the floor, kick up silt and generally show horrible trim and buoyancy. That somehow didn't surprise us much. However, she wasn't expecting to see my hand come through that hole when it did. :D :D :D She also wasn't expecting to see a Peacock Flounder in the sand. :D :D :D

I was very surprised! @The Chairman found places in the Ballroom I didn’t know existed... like magic doors to another realm: maybe he really is a Golem ;-)

I was very surprised! @The Chairman found places in the Ballroom I didn’t know existed... like magic doors to another realm: maybe he really is a Golem ;-)
When you dive a place like that without your light on, you get to see it differently. Like that hole, I knew it went through because I could see light coming through when I was inspecting it. You won't see that with your light on. There are a few cave systems that have more than one exit. Covering your light from time to time will allow you to see natural light poking through.

Well the Killed Poodle BC has been re-done with one continuous harness webbing and an old Dive Rite pocket added for collecting shark’s teeth, or other storage. I also added my old soft fabric back up mask pocket under the right arm. Time to dive it again soon...

Attachments

• DFFFF884-2A07-48C8-ABE7-79452C222183.jpeg
    DFFFF884-2A07-48C8-ABE7-79452C222183.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 167
Well the Killed Poodle BC has been re-done with one continuous harness webbing and an old Dive Rite pocket added for collecting shark’s teeth, or other storage. I also added my old soft fabric back up mask pocket under the right arm. Time to dive it again soon...

Where you have your weights installed, I think you said you "angled" it. Does that mean you cut out the plastic to accommodate the weights? I have mine in a back-pad and it's not as neat as I would like. Did you say it holds two, 2-pound weights? Right now I have about 7 pounds but perhaps 6 would do. I bought a SS backplate and, not thinking, it said it's 5 1/2 pounds but in the water it's closer to 4.

It had two pieces, the plastic plate and a curved tank stabilizer, also of plastic, that screwed on with stainless screws. What I did was spread the two pieces apart by using longer hardware, and I was able to sandwich two two pound weights in there. I used longer screws on the bottom to angle the tank a bit, and I added bolts for strength.

So it’s only 4 lbs. Pretty specific to that particular plastic backplate, and pretty red neck. I’m sure your stainless plate is much nicer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom