UNTERSEEBOOT UC-97 in Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The location of this wreck has been known for sometime. It is just not made available.

Do you know if anyone is running trips to the wreck?

EDIT: Didn't realize it was at 250 feet.

Last edited:
Use the search function, she comes up at least once per year. Here is the site of the company that found it; A&T Recovery, Home page, Navy Aircraft as Artifacts

No trips are made to it and the position has not been given out, but you are welcome to get a boat and sidescan and go looking.

If you do find it, expect to be in a dog fight with the State of Michigan and the US Navy over diving it. The sub is on State lands and is most likely owned by the US Navy. But Michigan might lay a claim to her. Either way, you will most likely be banned from diving the "Historical Resource" without a permit.

Good luck getting a permit, they will put a bunch or restrictions on any "Divers" and you will need to have a scientific research plan, etc . ...

There were charters running to it out of Milwalkee but the captain that new the numbers passed away last year and unfortunately it seems he took the numbers with him.

It is on my top ten of ones I want to dive too... if anyone finds it I would appreciate a call.

Dive safe,
Rich

Nick, the ratio of misinformation to fact posted here is about 70:30, about the same as always concerning this wreck. People will continue to search for it until someone finds it again. Then we will see what happens.

Uc-97

ucconnhatchtop_jpg.jpg

ucdeckthing01_jpg.jpg

ucnumbersUC01bst_jpg.jpg

ucsternhatch_jpg.jpg

ucsterntorp_jpg.jpg

ucthing_jpg.jpg

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom