Unoffical Scubaboard Goliath Grouper aggregation dives Aug 21-2 and Sept 25-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4+ knot current on the Castor this morning! Saw maybe 10 GG’s hanging in front of the stern super structure. I spent the majority of the dive hanging on filming. Didn’t swim much. Bottom temp was in the mid 80s and viz was 60+. Looking forward to tomorrow.

40-50 GG on MG111 today. Chilly 72 below 40’. Current was manageable.

Hi @Manatee Diver

You stumped me on the Linda Ronstadt reference, I'm probably a dense old man, but I can dive the Castor.

Blue Bayou = Blew by you

I will admit it is a terrible joke.

The current on the Castor was nuts, I noped out of the dive after it was tough to even get to the ball. The couple by me where I put on and stripped off my drysuit, the husband apparently might have strained or pulled his bicep pulling his way down. So me with my greater drag (drysuit, pony, and camera) was probably right to nope out.

I did go down, but without my camera when the DM was hot dropped on the wreck for a drift ascent. We went down and down and bam there was the wreck a short distance away. We spent a few minutes, I looked at the three hiding near the wheel house, until he released the down line. After I saw the down line pull a Linda Ronstadt, I pulled out my DSMB to deploy it. I put what felt like a full breath and it went away. Around 50 foot I noticed that my line was not the 45 degrees up I would've expected and instead was down below me. Whatever I was reeling it in. At around 30 feet the prodigal son returned and started drifting upward and finally to the surface.

I need to practice DSMB deployment and blue water ascents. But it was workable, I wouldn't want to do deco on that ascent, but workable for rec.

I have a hard time understanding how these charters operate. The captain knows exactly what the current is when he reaches the wreck by looking at his GPS. If he sees the current is strong, why do they choose to place a down line for a 110 ft wreck dive? Do they feel that the customers are incapable of doing a free descent to the wreck - i.e., dropping a 100 yards or so upstream and drift into the wreck?

It sounds so difficult and arduous to try to make people pull down a line in a strong current?

I'm curious, doesn't the captain tell everyone what the current speed is before dropping them into it?

Do they feel that the customers are incapable of doing a free descent to the wreck - i.e., dropping a 100 yards or so upstream and drift into the wreck?

Unfortunately yes, people mess around on the surface, while a hot drop basically requires an almost immediate descent.

I’ve hot dropped the castor on multiple occasions. It is by far the best way to dive the wreck in a strong current. That’s what they do up in Palm Beach and in Jupiter. I have no idea why the captains in Boynton Beach don’t also hot drop when the current is strong. my guess would be it’s because they don’t put the dive guide in the water with each group.

Though I'm skeptical of a 4+ knot current, the Castor can certainly have some rippers. Hitting the ball is usually not too difficult as you are dropped up current and just have to aim for it. Getting down can sometimes be work when the line is humming. Once down, it is not too difficult to stay out of most of the current. Even getting to the bow can be done, though it is a deep swim.

Sorry, I'm not familiar, what is the line pulled a Linda Ronstadt? Who was the DM today, was it Ren? The Castor can be a challenging dive, today was one of those. Many of the dives in Boynton can be challenging with very brisk current, especially the outside reef.
They lost me at Drysuit..... August in Boynton? Wha'd I miss.

They lost me at Drysuit..... August in Boynton? Wha'd I miss.

Medical reason, big toe has to stay dry. So either dive dry or no diving.

The two operators I use in Boynton Beach, Loggerhead and Starfish, do not put a guide in the water. When on the Castor (or the Capt. Tony or Bud Bar), the mate generally ties into the wreck and returns to the boat, The mate generally unties at the end of the dive after everyone is back. Unlike the wreck dives in West Palm and Jupiter, the wrecks in Boynton Beach are not drift dives.

The option of doing the drop during tie in is often offered. Once the ball is in place, the option of a hot drop or using the ball is often offered. In both of these scenarios, a line is available at the end of the dive for the ascent. With a group of experienced divers. a hot drop with a blue water ascent on a DSMB is sometimes offered.

Though the Castor would generally be considered an advanced dive, divers with a wide variety of experience do it. Using the mooring ball in mild to moderate current is very easy. The experience in higher current is described above. Not everyone has the experience, skill, and confidence to do a hot drop and prefer to use the ball. Doing a hot drop without the ball in place also requires that a DSMB be deployed for the ascent, a skill not everyone has.

The Castor can be a great dive, it can also be challenging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom