Unoffical Scubaboard Goliath Grouper aggregation dives Aug 21-2 and Sept 25-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I didn't hear much in the Jupiter thread, so I thought I would split it out.

I talked with Starfish today and they report that they are starting to gather.

I am told that the best days are the full moon and the new moon. We have a full moon coming up Aug 22nd (Sunday) and again Sep 20th (Monday). And the new moon is Sep 6th (Monday).

I was thinking maybe a day on the Castor and a day on the Jupiter Wreck trek.

@CosbySweater
@JimBlay
@scubadada
@The Chairman

The Jupiter crowd always says Rosh Hashanah is the best day. But this year it also is the same day as Labor Day and its too late to get a dozen seats on a boat. JDC is 80% sold out already for all those dates.
I'm available for Morning trips Aug 22nd and Sept 20th, but let us know so we can get on the boat(s)

I am favoring the weekend of the 21st. As I think Sep 20th is fairly late in the season.

But lets see how many we can get. Let's say a week to join in.

We have moved to the Englewood area. Could you give more details about what you're talking about? Can't wait to get back in the water!

I am favoring the weekend of the 21st. As I think Sep 20th is fairly late in the season.

But lets see how many we can get. Let's say a week to join in.

I’m unfortunately out. I’m diving the weekend before with a buddy who’s a new diver. Then we have other plans for a number of weeks. I won’t be in the water again until the last weekend of Sep.

Thx for coordinating this @Manatee Diver. Sorry I can’t join you guys. Wish you all great dives!!

We have moved to the Englewood area. Could you give more details about what you're talking about? Can't wait to get back in the water!

Once a year, from around mid-August to mid-September a metric crap ton of Goliath Groupers travel to South Florida to spawn. They gather all over the place but the highest concentration is on the Castor and the Jupiter Wreck Trek. Both dives are "advanced" in that the depth is below 60 feet, and if nitrox is not required is highly recommend.

The Jupiter Wreck Trek is a pretty advanced dive, it is a drift dive with a hot drop requiring a very quick descent once you hit the water and it is very easy to get separated from the group. So you either need to be ready to dive solo, or the buddy pair needs to be actively monitoring each other to prevent buddy separation. When I was last in Jupiter, I did 5 dives, and 4 solo ascents under my DSMB.

Video from the Castor from a much better videographer than I.

I’m unfortunately out. I’m diving the weekend before with a buddy who’s a new diver. Then we have other plans for a number of weeks. I won’t be in the water again until the last weekend of Sep.

Thx for coordinating this @Manatee Diver. Sorry I can’t join you guys. Wish you all great dives!!

That is unfortunate, it seems our calendars never coincide.

I didn't hear much in the Jupiter thread, so I thought I would split it out.

I talked with Starfish today and they report that they are starting to gather.

I am told that the best days are the full moon and the new moon. We have a full moon coming up Aug 22nd (Sunday) and again Sep 20th (Monday). And the new moon is Sep 6th (Monday).

I was thinking maybe a day on the Castor and a day on the Jupiter Wreck trek.

@CosbySweater
@JimBlay
@scubadada
@The Chairman

Sorry I dropped the ball on this one! It’s better as its own thread anyway so thanks for taking the lead!

I can do the weekend of August 21. I can also probably do the weekend of September 18 but let’s shoot for August 21 and/or 22. JDC has space that weekend but we should book fast because the boats will sell out. Starfish appears to have space as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom