Unoffical Scubaboard Goliath Grouper aggregation dives Aug 21-2 and Sept 25-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, TS/Hurricane Grace? Really?? Grace means ‘unmerited favor’. What genius thought that was a good storm name?!

Probably the same genius that named a storm after Fred Flintstone.

The Euro model say's PTC7 fizzles at Cuba, but it's still too early.
I dove Jupiter today and talked to the boat on the Wrek Trek. They had over a dozen hanging at 40ft deep cause it was nippy on the sand. Since they couldn't hide inside the wrek, it gave them great photo shots since the GG's wanted to stay together. We've got boats going every day next week and we'll be intouch with them to hear where they move around to. It can be a bit of 'hide & seek' to find the larger concentrations. Yesterday there were 7 inside a big cut-out curve in the ledge. We'll see.
PS. @ROXANNE set me up with a surprise I'm bringing on the 22nd (can't tell ya what yet) :yeahbaby::idk:

:wink::wink:

Well with a little bit of luck and we might not be affected by Grace too much. The current models have it tracking south. Hopefully it doesn't make a turn and hit the panhandle like Fred, cave country is already flooded enough.

I snooze, I lose.

I’ve been waiting to see what Neptune had in store regarding the marine weather forecast before booking spots for the designated aggregation aggregation. Good news is that TS Grace now appears to be heading away from the SE coast of Florida. so seas should be quite manageable, and visibility should not be negatively impacted. Bad news for me is that all available spots on the charters have been filled. Smooth sailing and safe diving to all.

@OceanEyes Jupiter Dive Center still has spots for this Saturday. I know the group is hitting the Castor with Starfish this Saturday but that didn't work for my scheduled. I was able to jump on one of the JDC afternoon charters. They currently have spots available on both afternoon boats. I'm booked on the Republic VII. I just looked and they have 2 spots open on the Republic VII and 4 on the Republic IV. One boat (the one I'm on) is doing two goliath grouper dives and the other boat is doing one goliath grouper dive plus a reef.

Thank you for the leads on open spots @JimBlay.

I actually have very little trouble finding spaces on charters heading out for Goliath dives, and usually avoid weekend diving during peak seasons. I’m a self employed commercial photographer and prefer to distance myself from crowds whenever possible. The only reason that I considered joining any of the dives specified in this thread was to have the chance to meet some of the people whose posts I have enjoyed or learned from here on the forums.

For the past decade or so I’ve been a customer of Kevin’s at Underwater Explorers. Because of my preference for smaller capacity boats, his was my ideal operation for diving the Castor, as it was the only commercial 6 pack that granted reliable access to the site. Kevin always give me good drops whenever hot drops were deemed prudent, and he always brought me back safe and happy, but as some here may not yet be aware; Underwater Explorers is no longer in operation.

Thanks to some recommendations on this thread, I contacted Adam at Starfish Scuba and found him to be extremely courteous, punctual, and understanding of my desires. I’m booked with Starfish this coming Thursday morning for what I hope will be the first in a long series of visits to the Castor aboard his boat.

Thank you for the leads on open spots @JimBlay.

I actually have very little trouble finding spaces on charters heading out for Goliath dives, and usually avoid weekend diving during peak seasons. I’m a self employed commercial photographer and prefer to distance myself from crowds whenever possible. The only reason that I considered joining any of the dives specified in this thread was to have the chance to meet some of the people whose posts I have enjoyed or learned from here on the forums.

For the past decade or so I’ve been a customer of Kevin’s at Underwater Explorers. Because of my preference for smaller capacity boats, his was my ideal operation for diving the Castor, as it was the only commercial 6 pack that granted reliable access to the site. Kevin always give me good drops whenever hot drops were deemed prudent, and he always brought me back safe and happy, but as some here may not yet be aware; Underwater Explorers is no longer in operation.

Thanks to some recommendations on this thread, I contacted Adam at Starfish Scuba and found him to be extremely courteous, punctual, and understanding of my desires. I’m booked with Starfish this coming Thursday morning for what I hope will be the first in a long series of visits to the Castor aboard his boat.

Adam is a good guy. If you liked UEX I think you’ll like Starfish.

We dove Jupiter today(Tues 17th). Team-1 dove the Wrek trek(WT) on their 1st tank because at the morning boat ramp we talked with folks from 2 different dive boats that hit it yesterday and said dozens were on it. But on their WT drop they had about 10. Then that team moved over to the MK111 and found about 40 GG's.

It's mating season and the males follow the females where ever they want to go and it changes daily(typical women!). I dove a nearby parallel reef and found 4 big GG's not moving and just parked on top of the reef. At 1st I thought they were big barrel sponges and they never moved when I passed next to them. So there's L O T S of GG's here !! Just gotta keep talking to everyone and compare notes to find the biggest numbers on Sunday the 22nd for the SB Gathering dives.

Conditions today were flat calm topside, moderate current on the wrek trek, but a little easier on the MK111. 80 - 78 degrees on the bottom and 40-60ft of viz. I skipped the GG's viewing today in order to save it for the big Sunday dives. Cleaned up the reef with a bunch of lions instead. Sunday I'm just shooting video, not fish. Forecast looks great for Sunday!!

20210817_134858.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom