Unmatched computers+redundancy=need redundant brain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to introduce some redundancy into my rig I recently bought a reg (for a pony) that has an unfamiliar computer attached to it, and I thought great, I just got my redundant computer too! But I looked at the manual online and my eyes glazed over. Mind you, I’m the girl large colorful tissue loading bars were invented for: I’m an artist type and Math and I parted ways in ninth grade. The more numbers swirling around on the screen the worse the comprehension here. I just replaced my old Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus with a Pro Plus 2 ( Thank You Oceanic!) What I really want to back it up is a Geo2. The thought of trying to learn another interface is making me eye my boyfriend’s new vintage style Seiko watch. Can anyone relate?

I get it! I have a couple DG02 computers that are nice, but just way too much info in a small space.

One reason I upgraded to a shearwater. Beyond just the capability, it is a very simple computer to use.

Do you dive nitrox or multiple gas mixes? If not, you might track down an old Aladdin Pro. I have two I keep around for spares. They are rock solid dive computers, and get you pretty close to that "vintage Casio" level of simplicity. Last one I bought for $10 because it needed a battery.

I do dive nitrox. The new one is an Aladin Prime from maybe 2011, perhaps I should give it a pool dive.

Looking to introduce some redundancy into my rig I recently bought a reg (for a pony) that has an unfamiliar computer attached to it, and I thought great, I just got my redundant computer too! But I looked at the manual online and my eyes glazed over. Mind you, I’m the girl large colorful tissue loading bars were invented for: I’m an artist type and Math and I parted ways in ninth grade. The more numbers swirling around on the screen the worse the comprehension here. I just replaced my old Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus with a Pro Plus 2 ( Thank You Oceanic!) What I really want to back it up is a Geo2. The thought of trying to learn another interface is making me eye my boyfriend’s new vintage style Seiko watch. Can anyone relate?

Aquacat8, can you explain what you're struggling with in a bit more detail?

It seems to me that if you have a computer then you look at the NDL number and if it's getting close to zero you need to ascend. If you have two computers then one of them will have an NDL number closer to zero than the other one so that's the the computer you need to look at.

I don't experience that as Math. It's only one number and all you need to do is look if it's zero yet. So part of me thinks you're making it more complicated in your mind than it has to be. That's why I'm asking the question.

R..

one of the Uwatec nitrox computers had a recall. I don't recall which one but if you're buying a 2nd hand Uwatec online you need to be aware of that.

one of the Uwatec nitrox computers had a recall. I don't recall which one but if you're buying a 2nd hand Uwatec online you need to be aware of that.
IIRC, it was the Prime.

Here are two old threads that talk about a battery issue with that computer.
UWATEC Aladin Prime Error
Uwatec prime computer

I bought a prime as a backup years ago when I was still working for a ScubaPro shop and could get it really cheap. The shop had just put Primes in all of its rental regulator sets. I took a group of students on a trip to get certified and handed out regulators. When we prepared to dive, half the batteries were dead.

Not long after that, I went to use mine. The battery was dead. I got it replaced. Two months (and almost no diving) later, it was dead again. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I left that shop and eventually wanted to sell the computer on ScubaBoard, but I wanted to sell it with a working battery. I went to another ScubaPro shop and was told that the computer had been recalled. I could have gotten it replaced under the recall, but the time period for returning it was over. No one had notified me. I threw it away.

IIRC, it was the Prime.

Here are two old threads that talk about a battery issue with that computer.
UWATEC Aladin Prime Error
Uwatec prime computer

I bought a prime as a backup years ago when I was still working for a ScubaPro shop and could get it really cheap. The shop had just put Primes in all of its rental regulator sets. I took a group of students on a trip to get certified and handed out regulators. When we prepared to dive, half the batteries were dead.

Not long after that, I went to use mine. The battery was dead. I got it replaced. Two months (and almost no diving) later, it was dead again. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I left that shop and eventually wanted to sell the computer on ScubaBoard, but I wanted to sell it with a working battery. I went to another ScubaPro shop and was told that the computer had been recalled. I could have gotten it replaced under the recall, but the time period for returning it was over. No one had notified me. I threw it away.

IIRC the issue wasn't related to the battery. It was a software problem that could lead in some cases to a diver making a dive on air when the computer was somehow stuck in nitrox mode. I don't remember all the details but I remember this much.

R..

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Prime! @Diver0001 I’m sure you’re right that it would have actually been easy to use, it was reading the pdf manual that was daunting, thinking I would have to decipher different icons and placement of information etc. I’m anal enough that I would have made myself read the whole thing. But if the computer had the recall described that gives me an excuse not to, and get what I want anyways, which is an Oceanic that doubles as a Freediving watch. I love you Scubaboard folks! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom