Buying used integrated computer - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

currentlymia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to accumulate my own set of gear. As money is a limiting factor, I am looking at a used DC with integrated air and a compass because the regulator I am interested in does not come with. I dive both air and nitrox.

I have never had a dive computer before and since it is integrated, I do maybe think simpler is better. Any thoughts? thank you for your time

I have been looking at
US Diver SCAN 4,
Oceanic DATAMAX PRO
Aeris-A100S
AERIS ATMOS Ai

US Diver SCAN 4 Air Integrated Scuba Dive Computer, HP Hose, New Battery | eBay

Oceanic DATAMAX PRO Scuba Dive Computer, Air Integrated Pressure Gauge, HP Hose | eBay

Aeris A100S Scuba Diving Computer Dive Console | eBay

AERIS ATMOS Ai Dive Computer w Compass | eBay

The first two are a bit old for me, plus they don't have the compass that you'll need. I don't know if they can be set for nitrox. The third is not an air-integrated computer - it is a regular computer in a console with an compass and SPG. It has two buttons, which I like better than the single button of the others since it is easier for me to remember how to operate it. I can't tell if it does nitrox but I suspect it does. I also can't tell if it is actually functional. The fourth one seems to meet you requirements but is a bit expensive for what it is.

I don't know how often you dive, but if it's not too often then I would consider getting an analog SPG for about $50 and renting a computer. I saw some other ebay listings that might be interesting. For $350 Uwatec Scubapro Galileo Sol Dive Computer with Transmitter | eBay is what I used to use and it has an electronic compass and definitely does nitrox and used to be Scubapro's top-of-the-line computer, but it's pretty big on your wrist. It looks like there are a few Suunto Cobras on ebay for $200-$250. I've heard good things about those. For around $300 you can get an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 (or 3) which I've used before and can do everything you want. It looks like maybe you can get an Atomic Cobalt 2 for about $300. Those are beautiful, but my wife had bad luck with hers with a button going bad and Atomic taking forever to fix, and then (after they took it apart) finding it had a bad depth sensor and wanted a bunch more money to fix. They eventually took care of us after a lot of back-and-forth, but I personally am not interested in another one.

What do you mean by integrated? Only 3 of the 4 you posted are air integrated. All are console mount, however. Console vs wrist is a personal preference, but usually divers go from console to wrist, not the other way around.

Since this is your first computer, (of the 4 you listed) I’d recommend the Aeris A100S. Looks to be a standard puck style, so you should be able to put it in a wrist mount if you wanted to. That’s what I’d recommend for the compass as well. Wrist mount vs part of a console.

I have two Aeris Atmos AI computers, bought in 2010, that are still going strong. I love the Aeris Atmos AI computer because it is easy to read with my 70+ year old eyes, and since it is attached to my regs, there is less chance of leaving it at home. One thing that was annoying about these computers is the battery hatch cover had a tendency for the coin slot walls to become brittle over the years, and when they broke, it was impossible to unscrew, and you couldn't find an OEM replacement. HOWEVER, after trying to have some made using 3D printing, I found an easy and effective work around that solved the replacement problem. See my post Great news for Aeris Atmos AI owners. The heating method worked great, and neither of my computers have leaked using the modified battery caps. Good luck in your search for an inexpensive AI computer.

I'm planning to sell my Mares Nemo Air. Air integrated, nitrox, quick disconnect, with compass and computer interface. Let me know if you interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom