Unmatched computers+redundancy=need redundant brain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater has the only dive computer manuals that can be read by normal people, and even then they've spread the relevant info for the AI over more than one manual, which is silly. No matter what I'm looking for, I seem to end up looking in the wrong one.

I think that in general, most computer manuals are hard to read and understand. It helps a lot if you know what you are looking for. If you really know the key features you need, you can zero in on those key features and dispense with everything else. If you don't look for specific features and instead try to take everything in, you can be overwhelmed.

Consider yourself lucky you don't deal with software whose authors inventing words would make their product hip. Or something. Saltstack has pillars and grains where chef has kitchens and cookbooks...

Looking to introduce some redundancy into my rig I recently bought a reg (for a pony) that has an unfamiliar computer attached to it, and I thought great, I just got my redundant computer too! But I looked at the manual online and my eyes glazed over. Mind you, I’m the girl large colorful tissue loading bars were invented for: I’m an artist type and Math and I parted ways in ninth grade. The more numbers swirling around on the screen the worse the comprehension here. I just replaced my old Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus with a Pro Plus 2 ( Thank You Oceanic!) What I really want to back it up is a Geo2. The thought of trying to learn another interface is making me eye my boyfriend’s new vintage style Seiko watch. Can anyone relate?
So you have a PP2 running DSAT. I would suggest diving a backup with the same algorithm, the Geo 2 would be excellent. I dive a 2010 VT3 with a Geo 2 backup, they match within 30 sec. I can't see diving 2 different algorithms with the most conservative controlling the dive.

Exactly! I want that Geo2 so bad... just can’t get it yet. It is also a Freediving watch!

@scubadada do you agree: you get used to DSAT, and know it’s liberal, but wouldn't you rather decide how conservative YOU want to be based on how you feel and what you’ve been doing (like sometimes I’m old, cold and tired and other times I’m a frisky young mermaid) than have a computer that disagrees controlling dive time.

If your new computer is confusing you get rid of it. I have a Pro Plus 3 and a Geo and they track perfectly.

You'll have to use your redundant brain and change the conservatism factor from frisky to old sinker, provided you can figure out how from the manual. (Option number two is buy a computer that defaults to old sinker that can't be set to frisky mermaid. Then you won't have to worry about any of it and can just enjoy the dive.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom