Any Air Integrated Wrist Computer Connectivity Issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had two AI computers. My first was an Oceanic VT4. My current unit is a Shearwater Perdix. My wife also dives an AI Oceanic. All of these have/do drop the signal occasionally. These are monetary drops lasting seconds. I move my computer closer to the transmitter to speed up the reconnect. We both continue to dive with SPG's as backups.

I wear my computer on my left forearm while my transmitter is on the right side of my regulator setup. This contributes to some of the dropped signals.

I prefer AI to have my information in one spot.

I've used Shearwater and Scuba Pro's and very rarely would you see it disconnect but it's always reconnected within seconds - I suspect it's due to hand placement, sometimes I tuck my hands into my waist belt but it always has reconnected. I've used it on doubles, singles and side mount with no issues.

Other than doubles, I connect directly to the first stage - doubles with a short hose keeps it from sticking up in the air with the first stage angled. My main transmitor almost looks like I kicked it on the ground a few trips from my house to the marina, it doesn't win beauty contests but it keeps on working.

Pick a computer you like and hear works well - I personally do not like Sunuto's algorithm but I tend to dive a little more aggressive but there are a lot of them out there so for those folks, they are just fine. I've had no issues with Scuba Pro's (G2) and Shearwaters but they are probably on the high end of pricing.

Just curious why you don't have the transmitter plugged directly into your 1st stage? Why do you have it on a hose?
I want to take away the possibility of having additional stress put on by someone grabbing or knocking the first stage by the transmitter. This also brings the transmitter in front of me and its also in direct line of sight to the computer. I love the Teric, got it when it first came out i use it as an everyday watch as well. I have seen some posts where there seems to be battery issues but so far i have not experienced that, knock on wood.

With 253 dives on my Suunto Eon Core I've never had an issue with the transmitter disconnecting. I have once had a pretty good free flow from my SPG spool in that time. Borrowed another reg for that dive and my LDS tech fixed it in about 5 minutes.

Transmitter is connected directly to my first stage and luckily angles down at about 60 degrees so is unlikely to be confused with a valve handle.

Perdix AI here..

I dont use a HP hose, because i am the only one who touches my gear. But if you do a lot of boat dives, this could make sense.

Like other said: Sometimes it looses connection, but reconnects instantly.
I wear it on my wrist and i usually stretch my arms out in front. So its far away from the transmitter.
In lik 1 out of 10 dives it looses connection, but reconnects. I usually only see that happen on the missing data while analysing the dive,later.

I had it once, that it keeps losing connection. It only reconnected, when i put the perdix near to my body. Was no problem. I dive with a backup, when i have 2 first stages. Because i want a mechanical on my backup reg.

Transmitters are fine and i really like them. There is not really a reason not to use one, except that a mechanical updates faster during a great gas loss.

As pointed out already there are some who worry about it being grabbed as a handle (it does look a little like the valve handle) but I use mine directly on the first.

Wow that is a great point. I can see the possibility of dive boat crew possibly grabbing the top of tank and breaking the transmitter as they swap out the tank.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok now I'm more comfortable buying wireless AI computer. But which to buy....decisions decisions.... Lol

Wow that is a great point. I can see the possibility of dive boat crew possibly grabbing the top of tank and breaking the transmitter as they swap out the tank.
Truk is the only place I handed up gear and the boat hand was fully aware of AI transmitters, everywhere else I wear my gear to where ever my spot is so no one is likely to screw anything up but me.

The other possibility is if you ask a buddy or crew to turn on your air (or crew just checks) they unscrew your transmitter instead of turning the valve. I have seen a student do this to his instructor. (OK the student was me - instructor was not happy)

My 1st stage has HP connections placed in a way that the transmitter angles down and is unlikely to be mistaken for the valve.

Back
Top Bottom