United Airline "Special Baggage Handling Fee"??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! Air New Zealand has great policy - 2nd bag is $50USD - however if the second piece is sporting goods (including scuba gear) the fee is reduced to $25USD.

I looked into the "scuba charge" on another airline a few years ago. It turns out that it was a tariff from a few decades ago for somebody that shows up and hands over a loose pile of scuba gear, including tanks to the airline for transport. Note that a scuba set at United includes a speargun, a tank harness and a "safety vest", but no BCD. That should give you a hint as to how long the tariff has been around.

The charge/tariff is in the same section as the charges for odd sized, awkward sports equipment such as bicycles and surfboards.

The scuba tariff doesn't apply to gear inside luggage that meets size and weight limits.

a 40 psi tank? Sheeesh thats not even a breathe???? and safety vest and not a bcd.
That is a reference to the max limit of pressurization of 40psi when in transport.

Technically, you only have to bleed off the pressure to less than 40psi to meet the safety regulations that prohibit high pressure tanks in baggage. Most people transporting tanks bleed the tanks all the way down and remove the valve. That also makes it easier for TSA to inspect.

That is a reference to the max limit of pressurization of 40psi when in transport.

Technically, you only have to bleed off the pressure to less than 40psi to meet the safety regulations that prohibit high pressure tanks in baggage. Most people transporting tanks bleed the tanks all the way down and remove the valve. That also makes it easier for TSA to inspect.

The 40 PSI is well outdated too and there is no choice in removing the valve.
From the TSA website:
Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

I guess bottom line is: I'll pack my gear in a non-scuba luggage (my akona bag will have to stay home) and make my gear incognito.
I do, my $40 soft sided duffel bag doesn't telegraph what's inside to any less than honest baggage person.

I think this comes from the days when some sporting gear - mainly golf clubs- were not counted as part of your luggage, you could max out on luggage and then add a golf bag for free.
:rofl3: I did that once to Hawaii. Put my BC (with 24lbs. of lead shot - old At-Pac so I had to carry it) fins and full set of clubs in a regular golf bag inside my golf club carrier. A porter grabbed it b4 I could warn him - it spun him around and almost knocked him over. Must've been well over 100lbs.

I looked into the "scuba charge" on another airline a few years ago. It turns out that it was a tariff from a few decades ago for somebody that shows up and hands over a loose pile of scuba gear, including tanks to the airline for transport. Note that a scuba set at United includes a speargun, a tank harness and a "safety vest", but no BCD. That should give you a hint as to how long the tariff has been around.

The charge/tariff is in the same section as the charges for odd sized, awkward sports equipment such as bicycles and surfboards.

The scuba tariff doesn't apply to gear inside luggage that meets size and weight limits.

very interesting. thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom