Undetonated explosives found on ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not have any hesitation personally traveling on Ultramar or Mexico waterjet and would feel safe with family and friends on these ferries as well. In fact my dearest friend who has been here taking care of me after shoulder surgery will be on Ultramar tomorrow traveling to Cancun for her flight
Thank you Christi. Your confidence speaks volumes to my concerns.

I am flying out of Cancun tomorrow and will take any ferry that will let me on. This seems to be a Barcos Caribe thing. But the pipe bombs found on the rudders WERE their two remaining passenger ferries which are out of service and anchored in front of the Harbor Masters office. To plant those bombs would be very easy to do from a beach dive at night. At this point maybe dummies, or motion activated detonated. Those well sealed PVC tubes can contain 7 sticks of dynamite.
Dave, thanks for your input also. Having locals comfortable with using the ferries gives me confidence to keep my plans unchanged.

Is the assumption or common wisdom, as it were, that UltraMar or Waterjet, or both, were behind this?

Yes, many assume this. That doesn't mean it's correct.

And if not narcos, and not WM or WJ, who?

There's no benefit in this for narcos. If anything, this could only make things worse for them - previously lax security on the boats surely made getting various products to and from the island much easier.

Former governor Borge has many enemies besides the owners of the older ferry companies. As in 1.2 metric manys. I'm personally confident this was directed at either that ferry company or at Borge and his family. I'm not at all worried about using any of the other ferry companies. For now, I have no plans to use Barcos Caribe.

In terms of disclosure, I do rent out my house. I do not like doing that, but my co-owners do. The minute I'm the full owner, it's never going to be rented out again. I'm happier if it sits there without anyone running all the minisplits at 70F night and day and messing with my stuff. However, as much as I prefer my house not be rented, I did not plant any of those bombs. I will happily travel to and from my home without any particular safety concerns, including if that were to entail using Mexico Waterjects or Ultramar.

I'm doing the bagdrag next month. No change whatsoever to my plans.

I'm doing the bagdrag next month. No change whatsoever to my plans.

BTW, as of now there has been NO conformation that the pvc tubes attached to the rudders of the Barcos Caribe ferries were actually explosive. Might just be dummies to complete the message.

dave

We may know more soon. Or we may have more misinformation if we can't trust the news. You decide for yourself.

Advances in PGR investigations

COZUMEL, March 2 .- So far, the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), maintains the investigation regarding the two explosive devices found on the Caribbean II ship, once the Navy Secretariat withdrew the bombs, they informed to the leadership of the company that could already enter the ship. The federal government warns that soon there will be results and those responsible for the sabotage will be brought to justice.
Once the Secretary of the Navy with her experts in war materials carried out the removal of the two explosive devices placed under the hull of the Caribbean II, one in the aft part and one in the bow, the Relevant investigations on the part of the PGR, and until the end they communicated to the directive proprietor of the boat that already they could enter without risk some.
So far, the only authority that has commented on the issue, is Alfonso Navarrete Prida, secretary of federal government, who said at an official event with Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, that the PGR has solid hypothesis of what happened, anticipating that Soon there will be results and those responsible will be presented to the judge.
This issue of explosives and attacks on Caribbean Boats, has been considered a national security issue because of the importance of being Quintana Roo, the state that injects 42 percent of income to the federation via tourism, because Cozumel owns of the second largest barrier reef in the world after Australia, and be the first place in reception of cruises worldwide with the visit of just over 4 million passengers in 2017, according to the Federal Ministry of Tourism, of the importance that Playa del Carmen has worldwide.
After the work of the previous Thursday, the company that owns the ships ordered the crew of the Caribbean III (the only one in operation), who were guarding the ship that was about to be the object of a criminal act, to that reason obeyed that the night and dawn of Thursday in question was hovering around the Caribbean II, with its light systems to detect an intruder approaching the sea.

We may know more soon. Or we may have more misinformation if we can't trust the news. You decide for yourself.

Advances in PGR investigations

COZUMEL, March 2 .- So far, the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), maintains the investigation regarding the two explosive devices found on the Caribbean II ship, once the Navy Secretariat withdrew the bombs, they informed to the leadership of the company that could already enter the ship. The federal government warns that soon there will be results and those responsible for the sabotage will be brought to justice.
Once the Secretary of the Navy with her experts in war materials carried out the removal of the two explosive devices placed under the hull of the Caribbean II, one in the aft part and one in the bow, the Relevant investigations on the part of the PGR, and until the end they communicated to the directive proprietor of the boat that already they could enter without risk some.
So far, the only authority that has commented on the issue, is Alfonso Navarrete Prida, secretary of federal government, who said at an official event with Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, that the PGR has solid hypothesis of what happened, anticipating that Soon there will be results and those responsible will be presented to the judge.
This issue of explosives and attacks on Caribbean Boats, has been considered a national security issue because of the importance of being Quintana Roo, the state that injects 42 percent of income to the federation via tourism, because Cozumel owns of the second largest barrier reef in the world after Australia, and be the first place in reception of cruises worldwide with the visit of just over 4 million passengers in 2017, according to the Federal Ministry of Tourism, of the importance that Playa del Carmen has worldwide.
After the work of the previous Thursday, the company that owns the ships ordered the crew of the Caribbean III (the only one in operation), who were guarding the ship that was about to be the object of a criminal act, to that reason obeyed that the night and dawn of Thursday in question was hovering around the Caribbean II, with its light systems to detect an intruder approaching the sea.

That sounds encouraging :)

Security for the ferry will be difficult to achieve without searching everyone and every bag. Like at the airport or cruise ship. But it is being taken seriously and new policies of some type will be implemented. The agreement was signed in 2004 so we should be expecting something any day now. They are talking about taking names of passengers. :facepalm:

A forced marches the Apiqroo

COZUMEL, March 3 .- The Quintana Roo Integral Port Administration (APIQROO), continues its meetings with forced marches to implement new security models at the San Miguel dock, something that had not been done, and had to be as a result of the attack on a Caribbean ship in Playa del Carmen so that they are interested in landing a project with greater seriousness; although it will not be as rigorous as in an airport enclosure where there is greater security guarantee for facilities, users, and means of transport.
This week ended with hasty meetings for the APIQROO, one in the middle of the week headed by its director Alicia Concepción Ricalde Magaña, another one, the afternoon of last Friday that in context was to pour brainstorming in order to submit them to analysis between the members of the Protection Sub Committee.
APIQROO, anxiously seeks to implement the so-called International Code for the Protection of Ships and Port Facilities, an international agreement in which Mexico is one of the signatory countries since 2004.
Raúl Marrufo González, director of the APIQROO in Cozumel, spoke about the issue after last Friday's meeting, which was attended by representatives from the Ministry of the Navy, the Military Garrison, the Federal Police, local shipping companies, and soon agreed to the placement of signs communicating to users the start of random revisions without specifying the start date.
It will not be on all routes, in fact the interviewee admits "I said it was random, we understand that we have 3 to 5 thousand people crossing the day on this federal route, then doing it randomly is not only random to the person but in the times. This is not carried out during the twelve hours of the day (in which they operate), it can be at different times, obviously not announced in such a way that we can do it with surprise ".
A different example on the island happens at the International Airport of Cozumel, where thousands of tourists also travel daily although in lesser amount to the dock, but they have to arrive up to two hours before to be checked and baggage checked by external personnel hired by Airports. del Sureste (ASU) concessionaire of this federal facility. Then there is another X-ray review done by personnel of the terminal administration company, and upon arrival of foreign commercial flights a random check is carried out by means of traffic lights that are activated randomly when a user passes.
Marrufo González said that those responsible for such revisions at the dock would be elements of the Military Garrison and the municipal police in prior coordination.
This Monday, Guillermo Rentería Zuñiga, APIQROO's Operations Manager, must present the procedures of the protection plan to the Port Protection sub committee for analysis and next week he would be meeting again about the results of the evaluation.
Something novel that arose and until now implausible on the part of the Harbor Master's Office towards the company Barcos Caribe, was to ask for the names of all the passengers who occupied a seat in the wrecked vessel on February 21, something that is not done with any shipping company and none have that information because the tickets are sold as if they were movie tickets.
So now, the APIQROO, says to be interested in applying this modality with the users who acquire tickets who must register with their names, although the idea still maintains sketch aspect is not yet a real project.
As for the tours of the municipal police, he says that they will have a greater presence; something that up to now they do not have it.

Back
Top Bottom