Undetonated explosives found on ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that there have been two incidents. The first one detinated, the second did not.
That's what I thought. There was the Caribe I explosion on 2/21 right after the passengers unloaded, and as many as 25-30 injuries were reported, 5 or so to Americans, which is why the FBI has gotten involved. But these two explosive devices found yesterday, on either Caribe II or a cargo boat and not a passenger ferry, were safely removed and detonated by the military.

And there was also the floating sticks of dynamite that gopbroek and Dave have mentioned a few times. So, I guess that actually makes three incidents.

Just as a general observation it would probably behoove any divers at Paridise or shore diving near Blue Angel to respect the pier boundaries. I have to assume the cruise ship and ferry operators would be very sensitive to divers near any pier or anchored comercial vessel.

But not Barcos? (if they were running).

Sad day when one can resort to violence and force another out of business. I'm suspecting this revocation of Barcos permits is for public safety due to ongoing threats against them. I don't buy that the suspension was unrelated due to "insurance" or such. Before the incident, no one was saying anything about Barcos having permit or insurance issues.

The State Dept. warning was measured, as it should be, because it is a developing situation. There's still a hopeful chance that the message was sent, issues are being resolved (or higher level bosses ordered a stand down), and will fade into history. I hope so because the latest packages - real or dummy - were placed in a location that sends the message that they can do catastrophic damage causing massive casualties. Imagine a major hull breach and rapid sinking in mid-transit.
Let's all hope the next new "wreck dive" isn't off the coast of Playa del Carmen...

I DO encourage anyone who is crossing on a ferry to use Ultramar or Mexico WaterJets.

Are you aware of any other ferry companies currently operating other than the two you encourage us to use?

I'm crossing Sunday and as of today it's only Ultramar or Mexico WaterJets running.

Just as a general observation it would probably behoove any divers at Paridise or shore diving near Blue Angel to respect the pier boundaries. I have to assume the cruise ship and ferry operators would be very sensitive to divers near any pier or anchored comercial vessel.

Word to the wise... Suppose me and my 4"x3' white pvc lion fish keeper better not drift up under the piers.

Christi, you seem to have the pulse of what’s going on. Would you have any reservations about putting your parents, spouse, children, etc on any of the boats to/from Cozumel?

Since I work for Southwest Airlines, I’m flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. I have 2 weeks booked on Cozumel in June with my family and am starting to reconsider.

I am flying out of Cancun tomorrow and will take any ferry that will let me on. This seems to be a Barcos Caribe thing. But the pipe bombs found on the rudders WERE their two remaining passenger ferries which are out of service and anchored in front of the Harbor Masters office. To plant those bombs would be very easy to do from a beach dive at night. At this point maybe dummies, or motion activated detonated. Those well sealed PVC tubes can contain 7 sticks of dynamite.

Last edited:
It should not take a genius to figure out the two companies that would most benefit from hits on Barcos Caribe.

Dave

I am flying out of Cancun tomorrow and will take any ferry that will let me on. This seems to be a Barcos Caribe thing. But the pipe bombs found on the rudders WERE their two remaining passenger ferries which are out of service and anchored in front of the Harbor Masters office. To plant those bombs would be very easy to do from a beach dive at night. At this point maybe dummies, or motion activated detonated. Those well sealed PVC tubes can contain 7 sticks of dynamite.

I got Cargo boat from local report - but that does make more sense because I was never aware of them having any cargo boats - I did know they had the boats that were not in commission - one has been anchored out there for quite awhile

It should not take a genius to figure out the two companies that would most benefit from hits on Barcos Caribe.

Dave

Since a lot is rumor and innuendo, and it's also MX so sometimes difficult to get current news.... Is the assumption or common wisdom, as it were, that UltraMar or Waterjet, or both, were behind this?

I get the "take the ultra mar or waterjet ferry" position, however not so sure I'm comfy lining the coffers of a company that has no qualms killing tourists and locals -- yes, no one was killed but they would not have been able to plan it that way and someone very easily could have been. I think it's just divine providence that most injuries appear to have been minor, seeing the video.

And if not narcos, and not WM or WJ, who?

You are wrong, it was well planned not to kill people. When a ferry is coming into the dock everyone crowds the doors (downstairs) and virtually no one was on the upper deck when it was remotely detonated. I'm pretty sure that Ultramar and Waterjet's don't want to poison their own well.

My guess is that now it will be over and Borge has little way to retaliate. But I also really, really hope that they are able to figure out who was behind it.

Dave Dillehay

That's a bit flippant.

I understand it was *planned* not to kill people (well, actually, neither you nor I know that do we), but every accident that happens also wasn't planned. Those tourist boats didn't *plan* to sink a few weeks back. Poop happens. Done the bag drag and ferry ride multiple times. It doesn't take much imagination to come up with a circumstance where someone could easily have been killed. Sorry, putting an explosive on a passenger ferry to me indicates a blatant disregard for human life, even if your intent was just to scare. Sure, I could point an empty gun at you, but if I screw up and there's a round in the chamber, well..... If you aren't bothered by the fact that someone (? apparently ) associated with the other ferry did this, then I guess there's not much more to talk about. Virtually no one on the upper deck - well someone was. And what if there was a delay, or a friend was talking to a crew member, or the bomb went off midchannel (from what I've read these aren't' the most sophisticated), any one of hundreds of scenarios.

But I get it. Tourism is Coz's golden goose. This becomes a bigger story and we know where that goes. You and Christi and Eva.. everyone suffers. Personally I'd hate to see Coz infected with Cancun's reputation, but sweeping it under the rug like it's no big deal is even worse.

I travel extensively and rarely base my decisions on state dept or travel warnings, so this isn't some sky is falling reaction. In fact I am current;y booking a trip for this year using the ferries. I am just frankly surprised that mayhem is so easily excused.

But hey, maybe that's just MX (which isn't the rep you folks want or need)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom