Undetonated explosives found on ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is starting to sound a little fishy to me. How did nobody notice when a diver dropped in with two foot long explosive devices and went to tie them to the underside of a ferry? Is security in the ferry harbor in PDC that bad?

Also, I think that's the only time I've ever seen "bombas" translated as pumps. Usually, when it means pumps, it gets translated as bombs, or firefighters end up being called bombers. Internet translators are ridiculous.

I DO encourage anyone who is crossing on a ferry to use Ultramar or Mexico WaterJets.
Christi, you seem to have the pulse of what’s going on. Would you have any reservations about putting your parents, spouse, children, etc on any of the boats to/from Cozumel?

Since I work for Southwest Airlines, I’m flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. I have 2 weeks booked on Cozumel in June with my family and am starting to reconsider.

More details on yesterdays finding:

This was found on a Barcos Caribe CARGO boat - not a passenger ferry. This boat has not been is use for more than 6 months and has been anchored out in front of Sedena, about 100 yards off shore. In this case, there was no threat whatsoever to tourists. There is clearly a threat on Barcos Caribe - but it is not narco terrorism, it is directly targeted at Barcos Caribe and the owner, our former Governor Borge who is in prison on corruption charges related to his purchase of these vessels among other things.

All levels of government and military are remaining vigilant and there is extra security on the ferries both coming and going. Don't be alarmed by this, be grateful for it - I've always thought there should be security boarding the ferries just like there is for flights.

The "threat" to Mayor Perla is NOT related and was a scare tactic from some copycat vigilantes in attempts to scare her and prevent her from running. There have been A LOT of political shenanigans from extremist supporters of the opposing party to make Perla and her administration look bad - SAME THING that is going on with extremists on either side of the US political scene - but even on a much smaller scale here.

Because her term was cut short by new election rules, she is permitted to run for re-election.

I DO encourage anyone who is crossing on a ferry to use Ultramar or Mexico WaterJets.
Were the 18 people who were injured in the blast all workers on the cargo boat?

Christi, you seem to have the pulse of what’s going on. Would you have any reservations about putting your parents, spouse, children, etc on any of the boats to/from Cozumel?

Since I work for Southwest Airlines, I’m flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. I have 2 weeks booked on Cozumel in June with my family and am starting to reconsider.

I would not have any hesitation personally traveling on Ultramar or Mexico waterjet and would feel safe with family and friends on these ferries as well. In fact my dearest friend who has been here taking care of me after shoulder surgery will be on Ultramar tomorrow traveling to Cancun for her flight

Were the 18 people who were injured in the blast all workers on the cargo boat?

No - there were some people on the pier who were injured. Only 2 were kept in the hospital overnight - all others were released with minor injuries - of course there is some trauma there that each person will have to deal with.

This is starting to sound a little fishy to me. How did nobody notice when a diver dropped in with two foot long explosive devices and went to tie them to the underside of a ferry? Is security in the ferry harbor in PDC that bad?

Also, I think that's the only time I've ever seen "bombas" translated as pumps. Usually, when it means pumps, it gets translated as bombs, or firefighters end up being called bombers. Internet translators are ridiculous.
Actually, in Spanish, "Bomba" means pump - for example, we say "bomba de agua" which is a water pump, Or "bomba de chique" gas pump

Firefighters are Bomberos

Actually, in Spanish, "Bomba" means pump - for example, we say "bomba de agua" which is a water pump, Or "bomba de chique" gas pump

That's what he was saying. This is the first time he's seen it done correctly. It is usually translated wrong.

Right, I just think it's funny that it always seems to get translated backwards. There was a story in late 2014 about one of the southern AIs catching fire, I think as part of an insurance scam, and the translation that got posted here stated that bomb trucks responded to the scene, so a bunch of people thought it was a bomb that went off. I much prefer to find these stories and read them in Spanish myself because I'm a better translator than Google or Yahoo.

Did these most recently found devices actually detonate? I hadn't heard that there were 18 injuries.

I would not have any hesitation personally traveling on Ultramar or Mexico waterjet and would feel safe with family and friends on these ferries as well. In fact my dearest friend who has been here taking care of me after shoulder surgery will be on Ultramar tomorrow traveling to Cancun for her flight

But not Barcos? (if they were running).

Sad day when one can resort to violence and force another out of business. I'm suspecting this revocation of Barcos permits is for public safety due to ongoing threats against them. I don't buy that the suspension was unrelated due to "insurance" or such. Before the incident, no one was saying anything about Barcos having permit or insurance issues.

The State Dept. warning was measured, as it should be, because it is a developing situation. There's still a hopeful chance that the message was sent, issues are being resolved (or higher level bosses ordered a stand down), and will fade into history. I hope so because the latest packages - real or dummy - were placed in a location that sends the message that they can do catastrophic damage causing massive casualties. Imagine a major hull breach and rapid sinking in mid-transit.

Right, I just think it's funny that it always seems to get translated backwards. There was a story in late 2014 about one of the southern AIs catching fire, I think as part of an insurance scam, and the translation that got posted here stated that bomb trucks responded to the scene, so a bunch of people thought it was a bomb that went off. I much prefer to find these stories and read them in Spanish myself because I'm a better translator than Google or Yahoo.

Did these most recently found devices actually detonate? I hadn't heard that there were 18 injuries.
My understanding is that there have been two incidents. The first one detinated, the second did not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom