Undergarment recommendation: Uniqlo Heattech / AIRism Mesh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all

For those interested, I just wanted to mention that Uniqlo's Extra Warm and Ultra Warm long sleeve and long johns make for really effective undergarment layers, with the AIRism Mesh shirt being a really nice thin base layer to add.

The point is that these are very cheap when compared to scuba specific undergarments. My better half is always cold and swears by these thermals, so I got a few to try to get a feel for how they wear under the drysuit to gauge what thickness scuba thermals I should buy, eyeing the fourth element line - now I don't even want anything else. The only other undergarment I can compare this to from experience in the trilam suit is the one Sharkskin makes, however, I also understand that this is not deemed the most effective despite being sold as a dedicated drysuit undergarment also (the full body black version). Nevertheless, the Extra warm and Ultra warm layered was much more effective than the Sharkskin, whilst being a lot more comfortable.

Comparing the Heattech stuff to my much more pricey skiing undergarments is also a win for them. They are just warmer. The mesh shirt has a wicking texture that you'd probably pay a lot for if it was a sports specific garment or brand.

Anyway, in Australian $ (and quickly converted US$):

Heattech Ultra Warm top/bottom ca. $80 (US$ 55)
47% Acrylic, 26% Polyester, 20% Rayon, 7% Spandex

Heattech Extra Warm top/bottom ca. $60 (US$ 40)
50% Acrylic, 33% Rayon, 13% Polyester, 4% Spandex

AIRism Mesh Crew Neck shirt ca. $15 (US$ 10)
94% Polyester, 6% Spandex

So for AU$155 / US$105, you get 2 leg and 3 torso layers to combine or wear on their own in warmer waters.

Give them a try

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom