Undergarment Poll - What do YOU wear under your Fusion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi There,

Congratulations on your Whites purchase!

The MK2 undergarment should provide you with enough thermal protection under the conditions that you are diving in. The advantage of the MK2 over the MK3 is the versatility it provides for diving in a wider temperature range than the MK3. However, if you decide that you want to beef up your thermal protection the MK1 would be a nice addittion to your thermal system. The MK1 is is a super stretch fleece that is designed to be worn underneath your MK2 or MK3 as a base thermal protection layer.

For a base "wicking" layer, I would reccommend the MK0 which is a bamboo fiber base john that wicks sweat away. Check out the Whites website for more details.

Cheers,

Justin

For 56 degree water, I wear a wicking underlayer, a 200g Thinsulate vest, and my Mk3. In colder water than that, I add argon. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. I dive very slowly (photographer slow) and I get cold.

I forgot you guys just came out with the bamboo line....I remember seeing it at DEMA, very nice!! That would be my recommendation for a lighter weight UG :wink:

I forgot you guys just came out with the bamboo line....I remember seeing it at DEMA, very nice!! That would be my recommendation for a lighter weight UG :wink:

I got one of the hoodies made of this stuff, and now I am very GQ...:wink:

White's Fusion (sport/spandex skin)

MK3 UG. Wicking t-shirt. Long socks and neoprene socks.

Most of my dives are slow swimming dives, low activity but not as low as a photog.

I'm comfortable (if careful not to sweat too much) up to 60-ish. I'm comfortable (wet gloves) so far down to 49, surface 45.

I think the extra "poof" gives a fudge factor if there's a flood situation and you want to do a few more dives. It's also still very warm during your SI on the boat, and it's raining, and 45 out, your sleeve is a little wet...

The MK3 also has a tendency to compress after 50-100 dives if it's not laundered and dried properly. If you dive a lot the gear might not dry and hold it's loft at 100%, so again that extra warmth is a fudge factor until the time when you can be without the suit for a few days.

But I also have a camping/MEC/REI fleece set for when the warmer weather comes. 6 or 7 months from now.

Cheers,
Mitch

I wear a light weight tilos undergarment on dives down to the 50 ish range. Colder than that or for extremely long dives I add a polypro fleece top and bottom.

Cheap, low tech, but warm enough given that I tend to run on the warm side anyway.

I dive SoCal as well and have had the Fusion a little over a year now.

I used to use just the MK2 with a wicking layer under it, but found that I start to get cold on multiple dives when temps get into the upper 50's-low 60's. Now what I started using is the MK2 john with the sleeves removed (I much prefer the sleeves removed, because sometimes the zipper would really irritate under my arms), and I have a polartec fleece jacket that is probably 200-300 weight that I wear under the john. This set up with a thin wicking layer and my SmartWool expedition socks, and I'm good to go into the low-mid 50's for 3 dives. Love this setup!!

Haven't actually seen the MK3 yet so its hard for me to say if it would be too warm, but I can tell you that I have never been on a dive locally and thought "Gee I wish I was a little colder"

Hope this helps.

Brian

Last edited:
Well, for those still reading this thread, I dove my Fusion today in 62dF with a makeshift undergarment... Diveskins Polartec skin, silk undershirt (thermal) and a plain jane fleece sweatshirt. The Fusion is a sweet ride! While I didn't freeze, my legs were definitely cooling down after around 40 minutes or so. My buddy called the dive shortly after, but even though the dive was cut short it was clear that I need a real undergarment. Tonight I ordered the Mk2 from DiveRightInScuba. Keep an eye out for my order Mike!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out! Oh, and if anyone's interested, I now have a Whites Mk3 undergarment for sale, size Small. All reasonable offers considered, just PM me! :)

I'm new to drysuit diving, but I'll most likely order my Fusion this week :D

Most of my diving is in the 31-75°F range which is why after 6 years I decided to go dry.

Assuming I would prefer my wetsuit in most dives above 65 degrees, should I get a MK3 full suit or both MK2 john + jacket? I can't get both for the moment.

I don't have much experience diving
dry. I understand the idea that many layers offer more versatility,
but what is the trade off? Is it less warm? Is it a lot bulkier?

Will I really benefit from the MK2 john+jacket or should I stick with the MK3 for the time being?

Thanks!!

BTW :I have a lightweight wicking layer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom