undecided and confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stormtpr

Reaction score
:confused: I am new to SCUBA diving, and I havent even started my classes yet ( starts in 3 weeks on Aug,17th) I need some help from the vets.... What is better, Regular fins, or split fins? The folks at the school tell me the Atomic splits are better then the Tusa Expert splits... BUt I read some articles on here that say they (the plit fins) SUCK. If they suck, what is a good pair of regular fins to get? Price is not a factor, I want quality and efficiency. I dont want to start out with just a basic pair for starters, I want to start with a good pair so I can keep them and get used to them. Please help me to make a decision before class on the 17th.

Thanks
Doug Stidham

I have a pair of Mares Volo, they are regular fins (not split), with some great characteristics. Here's the link to the Mares site:

http://www.mares.com/en/pinne/volo_en.html

If you do decide to go with these or any other fins for that mattter, you can find better prices on the net than with your LDS. By making a decision soon you can get your fins by the start of your class. Another way (LDS owners close your eyes) is to go to the LDS, try different ones on and discuss pros and cons with the shop workers, then go online to purchase them (that's what I did).

Good luck with your class.

Mel

At this stage I wouldn't worry about the technicalities of split v regular fins. There is no point in spending a lot of money on a top rated fin only to find it doesn't work for you. Speak to an LDS who will let you try different fins and find one that works for you. The only preference I would have is for open heel fins with which you wear boots. The advantage is that if you are shore diving you can walk into the water without cutting your feet on anything and put them on in the water. As for buying online you will get a better price but may I suggest that you use the online price as a bargaining counter with the LDS but be reasonable and expect to pay some premium for the service they will have given you - by the same token don't pay MRSP which is what some LDS will quote at you.

Hope this helps

Regards

i agree with Welshman, You can bargin with the Lds. i have had some great bargins come up that way.As far as the split verses the regular fin as far as i know some like them some dont.Ive also heard like the others here were saying some fins arent for everyone.I tried Dacor and a few others i finally got a set of Cressi Pro Lights. Very lightweight and they also support you foot better.Great for travel.I personally like Cressi.everything i have so far is Cressi you may have a hard time finding it if your interested because it's manufactured in europe.Anyway try out a few before you buy them .If the Lds wants to make a sale they will let you try them in thier pool.

Welshman once bubbled...
At this stage I wouldn't worry about the technicalities of split v regular fins.

I imagine you're probably confused because you've heard some folks rave about how much easier and more efficient the split fins are, while at the same time you've heard others say that the fins are garbage and are ineffective in many circumstances.

Knowing the basic performance differences might help you decide what you want, so I'll try to sum up my rudimentary understanding (as someone who's never tried splits). If any of you know better, please correct me on anything that isn't accurate.

Basicly, the split fins are supposed to be easier to use, and doing less work means using air less quickly and having a reduced chance of leg cramping. The downside is that these fins are really only good for the basic flutter kick. If you get into technical diving, or just want to maximize your maneuverability, the sorts of kicks you'll want to use (Check out this link for movie examples: http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/tech.html ) are supposedly difficult to perform in split fins.

In other words, if you want to save energy and maneuver like an airplane, go with the splits. If you're willing to use a little more energy so you have the option of learning to maneuver like a helicopter, paddles are better.

This will help dictate some of your needs. Are you diving locally (lakes/quarries) or in the tropics? (the ocean). Will you be plowing thru cold water with non-aerodynamic (excuse me, HYDROdynamic) equipment?

Here's what I have seen & heard: a beginner has weak legs (yes, even if u run marathons, you have not built finning legs yet.) A moderate stiffness is smarter than a really stiff fin, but since you have a couple weeks, you can buy some fins & kick laps to strengthen your legs before the class begins, so there is not really the need to go for a super easy-kicking fin.

Why work hard to build muscle? To stay warmer! If you have more muscle in your legs, you will be more resistant to cold, more negatively buoyant (needing less lead to sink u), and be more able to walk with equipment on your back. You will have less cramping with a well-conditioned leg.

Some of your needs may deal with your foot shape. Will you need a wide or narrow booty? Are you diving in rocky areas that require a tough-souled booty, or off of boats where a thinner soul is fine? Fins & booties gotta fit together! I hear a lot about LDSs telling newbies that if they are "serious" they should get some crazy new design. (Strangely, they never suggest anything cheap. Hmmm...) I like vented rubber fins. My husband (a fin junkie) likes non-vented rubber fins best. Most people I dive with like those Cressi frogs (plastic, but with some rubber panels, I think). I can't stand all-plastic blades. Have not tried splits. Have seen some newbies happy with them in the pool, but don't know if they will accelerate fast enough for the ocean.

Whatever you choose, you are going to have to put some focus on training those legs to have a relationship with the fins. Many people get new fins before OW is even done, so I never tell anyone to blow too much $$ on them. You will learn a lot by switching with classmates in the pool to see if anything works better for you.

stormtpr once bubbled...
:confused: I am new to SCUBA diving, and I havent even started my classes yet ( starts in 3 weeks on Aug,17th) I need some help from the vets.... What is better, Regular fins, or split fins? The folks at the school tell me the Atomic splits are better then the Tusa Expert splits... BUt I read some articles on here that say they (the plit fins) SUCK. If they suck, what is a good pair of regular fins to get? Price is not a factor, I want quality and efficiency. I dont want to start out with just a basic pair for starters, I want to start with a good pair so I can keep them and get used to them. Please help me to make a decision before class on the 17th.

Thanks
Doug Stidham

I just changed my fins to the Tusa Expert zooms split fins and i love them i get the speed without feeling like i am wearing fins at all.
But you have to change the pattern in wich you kick from solid fins to splits.
Anyway you should borrow a pair and find out for yourself.:)

I have the scubapro twinjet split fins. got them for my bad knees. so far I like them but, I haven't gotten through that learning curve.
Any pointers???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom